Monday, August 27, 2007

"Me" Time at the Movies

Last night I went to see "The Bourne Ultimatum" on my own. I hadn't had a moment alone (other than to run one errand while in Colorado) in almost three weeks and I needed to get out. Chris and Natalia were asleep, but Katya just couldn't fall asleep... I set her up with a audio book, hoped she would just fall asleep, told her to get Daddy if she needed anything--but to go to sleep, locked the door and left. (She was, um, still awake when I got home at 1 a.m. And still awake at 2 a.m., despite cuddling and a massage. I'm in for it today when her fatigue hits...)

Now that we're comfortable with Russian, we can enjoy the proximity of multiple movie theaters. I got some coffee at a favorite cafe, Кофемания (Coffee Mania), and read for a while--La fuerza del engano (The Second Time Around) by Mary Higgins Clark. (Wish I knew how to put the "~" over the "n" on our Russian computer!) Not exactly highbrow literature, but it's a fun read and good practice for my Spanish since school starts in one week! (More on that soon). The coffee at Coffee Mania is better than at Starbucks and their food is fantastic--but the prices are higher than I imagine Starbucks will charge and their cups are so darn small... (None of those announced Starbucks actually did open in Moscow this August, but supposedly it will happen soon...)
The movie was a lot of fun. The opening scenes take place at the Kiev Train Station, a place we know well. The new mall with "Build A Bear" is next to it, and our speech therapist who was kicked out of Russia lived across from it. It's so strange to watch a spy movie and to have it taking place in one's neighborhood. When I read books or see movies set in the times of the USSR, it's hard to believe that we actually live here now and how much things have changed (or, well, haven't... We still can't believe how the murder of a former Russian spy lead to our losing our speech therapist...).

It's odd how in Russia, and in many other European countries, you have to buy a movie ticket for a specific seat. I don't like the practice at all; there's no way of knowing if you'll be seated in back of someone tall, next to someone smelly, or near loud teenagers... I lucked out, my seat was good, and I enjoyed the movie. There isn't really a language barrier anymore when going to see Russian movies; this year I'll venture out to the theater, too.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

That's so cool that you're able to do that!

Derrick and I saw the American version of the movie right after it came out and loved it.

We were just proud of ourselves for being able to understand the brief Russian dialogue at the beginning without having to read the subtitle "please, don't shoot", "my problem is not with you".

Did they actually film it there though? I thought they had filmed in Prague or something like that.