Thursday, October 25, 2007

Russian Fabric for a Good Cause (Get ready to sew, Rachael!)


My friend Rachael adopted a wonderful seven-year-old girl, Katya, from St. Petersburg this spring. Rachael got me into blogging and I love reading about how Katya is adapting to life in America through her blog. While tackling the project of making some Halloween costumes for her kids, Rachael realized that she actually loves sewing--and she learned how to make some gorgeous bags in the process.

A few days ago, Rachael posted that she is going to start an etsy store (it's a site on the web where people sell their crafts) in order to raise money for a group of older orphans in St. Petersburg. She can't forget all the children who were left behind--kids who will probably never be adopted. Moved by her friend Kate's experience taking gifts to children in an orphanage last December, Rachael wrote, "I think what I will do with the proceeds from my Etsy sales in November, is to send the money to Kate and let her "snegoritchka away" as she chooses and then she can post about it after Christmas and fill us all in." (Kate is an American teacher who lives in St. Petersburg, Snegurochka is the granddaughter of Grandfather Frost, the Russian equivalent of Santa).

The entire amount from Rachael's sales will towards creating a memorable holiday for those children, and I can't wait to see what she'll sew and offer up for sale! Be sure to check out her store once it's up and running; I'll keep you posted when it is.


I offered to help out, getting her unique Russian fabrics for her bags and other crafts. Today I went to the factory store of the best fabric producer in Russia and STOCKED UP. The shop is called Tryokhgornaya Tekhstilnaya Fabrika and it's located at 15 Rochdelskaya ulitsa. The place is FANTASTIC. In addition to unique linens and cottons, they also make gorgeous bedding, tablecloths, towels, napkins, curtains, etc. at extremely reasonable prices.

Here are slideshows of all the fabrics I picked out!!! I bought quite a bit... But it all came to exactly $100. Glad to contribute to your wonderful plans, Rachael! Get ready to sew when you get the fabrics the second week of November!!!



12 comments:

Rachael said...

WOW!!! A million thanks...I'm SO excited...can't wait!!!

(You're really going to keep me busy, I see!)

Tina in CT said...

The prints are gorgeous!

Rachel, will you ever sleep starting in mid November?

I will tell my friends at the scrapbrook store where I go each Friday night to crop and hopefully drum up some business for your store.

T, why didn't we go to this store when I was in Moscow? Beautiful fabric.

Nataliya said...

Hi! I'm a Russian-speaking expat from Ukraine living in upstate NY, and I found your blog from Tami's blog. I just wanted to say "hi" and introduce myself!

Tami said...

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful! I'm running over to Rachael's etsy as soon as it opens!

Lori said...

Very cute fabric, I can't wait to see all the cool stuff Rachael makes. I'm pretty sure she's going to have to recruit our mom to help her if she wants to use up all the holiday print fabric in time for chirstmas.

kate said...

Wish we had them here!

srmsofttech said...

Earning money online never been this easy and transparent. You would find great tips on how to make that dream amount every month. So go ahead and click here for more details and open floodgates to your online income. All the best.

Sandra said...

Sandra

elin said...

Earning money online never been this easy and transparent.
You would find great tips on how to make that dream amount every month.
So go ahead and click here
for more details and open floodgates to your online income. All the best.

kelly john said...

“HOT TUB TIME MACHINE ,After The Rebelliant Action n Thriller Packed Movie "2012" JOHN CUSSACK is back With a Comedy n thriller movie,Which is Ready To Hit The Screen's clickhere check out the full information

Rhonda Griffin,Costume Contessa said...

Rachel, the fabrics are gorgeous. I just discovered Russian fabrics by a friend from France who sent me some brocade to make a Baroque historical dress.I was absolutely stunned at how gorgeous the fabric is.Have fun making the craft items and bags.

renitasullivan@verizon.net said...

Hi! Iam coming to Russia in may and am hoping to find some fabric for myself and presents for friends. Is the store you went to in St. Petersburg or Moscow? I would love to visit!