Thursday, November 15, 2007

It's Always October 31st at Our House...




Meet Kaya and Speaking Rain.

Native American girls in Moscow.

I still haven't found boxes so we can make a teepee together, but that didn't stop them from creating their own! Theirs isn't quite as sturdy as the cardboard structure I envision creating and it collapsed on them a few times--especially when the kittens "divebombed" onto the top of it--but they sure had a lot of fun! And hey, their teepee had the modern convenience of a cordless phone... (The cat didn't exactly like being put into a "cradleboard," though... Our cats are soooo patient...)

Katya has been sick for the past few days; acting out the Kaya stories and imagining her own has helped to keep her occupied. I think she's just worn out from the flight back from Colorado and only has a bad cold--but I'm letting her rest so it doesn't become something worse. I know that she'd rather be at school since she begged me to bring her there as soon as they got back to Moscow on Monday morning. (Teacher, asking about why she was late: "Oh, Katyusha, long time in traffic today?" Katya: "Ohhhh, yes. You wouldn't believe how long it takes it get here from America.")



Pi-la-kah,
my dad, is recording one of these stories for the girls for Christmas and I know they'll love it. I'd like to record more stories... Partly to just have them, partly to save myself from reading the same tale ad nauseum some nights :-)

Katya had saved up her tooth fairy money (she has lost a LOT of teeth in the past two years) and she bought this costume from a wonderful seamstress on ebay. I highly recommend her if you're in the market for an ultra-soft "indian" costume (she also does pirates).

The girls have been having a lot of fun learning some of the Nez Perce language, too; they often include these following words as they play. And you bet that I'd better play along and use the right words, too--or I have two angry little squaws on my hands!

They actually went to bed in their teepee, as you can see from the slideshow. That was the only way I could think of to make Katya actually go to bed! She had slept all day and just wasn't tired. (Jet lag hits them very hard when they fly back directly from Colorado). I overheard Natalia tell Katya after the lights were out, "Don't worry, sister... You can go to sleep. I'll wake you if the wolves come and Toe-ta and Eetsa are nearby." Too cute!

This morning we didn't have hot water again, so our "rustic" role-playing felt all-the-more real! Given our experience staying in a rural village in Ukraine this summer, though, it was really no big deal... It's all a matter of perspective... Hey, at least we didn't have to carry the water!

2 comments:

Tami said...

I love your girls' imaginations! And the comment about taking a long time to come from Colorado is hysterical!
Any chance your planning on a trip to Ukraine in the next month or so? Yea...I thought so, but I had to ask! ;)

Nataliya said...

It's the cutest slide show ever! Kaya and Speaking Rain are adorable! And I think their teepee is better than the cardboard one :)

Sorry about the water, it's something I'll need to get used to again while in Ukraine :) When I grew up in Odessa, the water was turned off every single day from midnight to 6:00 a.m. It took me about 5 years to get used to the fact that I can shower at 12:10 in the morning :)

Thank you very much for the wonderful idea about the letters for Victoria, I'll definitely do that!