Saturday, December 15, 2007

"Chic Chic" Haircuts (First Specialty Children's Salon in Russia)

"Chic"...

... and "Chic."


Yes, they're chic--but the cuts weren't exactly "cheap" (800 rubles/$32.65 per child). That being said, this new salon is fantastic. ("Chic chic," by the way, is a play on words; in addition to the French meaning of "fashionable," the two words are also used in Russian to describe the sound made by scissors). I heard about it today from a friend and I'm so glad we went! Katya has a big school show on Thursday (she's in a little play, sings in a few numbers and plays the piano), both girls are in the pageant at church tomorrow, and I wanted them to look their best. The salon has been open for about a month and I bet they'll soon be packed. The whole idea of catering to kids is new in Russia; it's very hard to find child-friendly medical/dental services, too.


The kids saw the special chairs (US Air Force plane that has working controls and sounds, purple and pink Barbie Jeep, yellow Hummer) and cheerful Babar murals and they were instantly happy. They also were excited to choose from a variety of recent US dvd's, too; they picked "Little Einsteins" and almost sang along at times.

Here's a slideshow of the salon; it's truly adorable! You'd never know from the outside of the building just how lovely it is inside.



Here's a slideshow of my little models. Talia was such a sour puss--then all of the sudden she turned into a glamorous model! My camera is dying; unfortunately the "model" shots of Katya didn't come out. (Don't worry; rumor has it that Santa is bringing me a new and MUCH better camera for Christmas!)



Chic Chic, 32 Bolshaya Yakimanka (on the west side of the street--the side closer to Dom Hudozhnikov/Red October Chocolate Factory, just past President Hotel). Open every day from 10 to 7 p.m., phone number 495.238.31.58.

5 comments:

Melissa Q. said...

Tam
The girls are gorgeous. What fun!
Melissa

Christine said...

Ouch. 32 bucks. I couldn't spend that...it is not in my genes. :)

Tina in CT said...

They are so beautiful - Grandma Streusel.

Nataliya said...

Wow, your little models are adorable! They'll be the most beautiful ones in the pageant and the school show!

Thank you for reminding me to blog again, I didn't realize I've been home for a week now! My son is already a sophomore at Rochester Institute of Technology, but he lives at home (I'm so lucky!), so he and Raisa will get a lot of time to get to know each other!

ChiroBie said...

Nice blog.