Thursday, December 6, 2007

Starbucks on the Old Arbat!

They're... HERE! YIPPEE!! My friend Julie called on Monday to share the news with me; they had opened that morning. We met today for delicious coffee and cheesecake (the baked goods looked much better than those offered in the USA; I had heard that they would be focusing on providing good food since that's important to Russian customers). I also got the "Moscow" city mug and some Christmas Blend beans. I had been looking forward to picking up a matrioshka-style travel mug, but they were out of stock (more arriving soon). They're so cute!
The cafe is at 17 Starii Arbat, next to Sbarro. As I had hoped, smoking and alcohol aren't allowed; this is extremely rare in Moscow.


Edited: The price of 20 oz. latte is 200 rubles, approximately $8.20. The same drink costs $3.25 in Avon, CT. The prices, however, were similar or less (even significantly) than the main competitors here: Coffee House, Shokoladnitsa and Coffee Mania. McDonald's MacCafe is still the cheapest, but way too crowded and just not as nice... The coffee at Starbucks was much better today than that at MacCafe, too. A bag of beans that would be around $8 in Avon cost around $10.50 here-- no more that what you'd pay for a vacuum-packed bag of beans from Lavazza or Meinle (the best brands at the grocery store).

13 comments:

Tina in CT said...

You've had your coffee fix! How are the prices compared to the US?

That is fantastic that smoking is not allowed inside. A RARE treat in Russia.

Tina in CT said...

It's a good thing Starbucks is not close by as the coffee sure is expensive. Wow, fancy coffee houses charge a high price but then your coffe-to-go from the bakery was $10 and change. The Starbucks gift certificates that Santa also tucked into your stockings wouldn't go far at those prices.

Rachael said...

OOOOHHHH...I MUST have a Matryoshka travel mug. That sounds SO cool. If by chance you get lucky and get one, any chance you want to buy one for me (I'd pay you of course) and bring it to the US next time you come?

Annie said...

Hello! I stumbled on your blog, and love it - though I have not read it all! But, I was trying to find out how you came to live in Moscow. My husband and I have toyed with the idea of living in Russia. We have loved our several visits to adopt our children. Anyway - how do you manage it?

Annie said...

Thanks so much for your response on my blog!!! I've got to catch up on yours. I am just fascinated with your life! :) And, I have to say your daughters are just gorgeous. Adorable little girls.

I'd love a connect to your Michigan friend...I do have some adoptive-mom acquaintances in West Michigan - we are central, really....but it would be interesting to contact her.

Do you have e-mail? If you have any time, I'd love to ask you a few questions. Mine is akitching@stachurch.net

Katya said...

Phew. Pricey!
Even the most shi-shi and upscale coffee shop here in Atlanta doesn't charge that much!

Christine said...

Wow! That's expensive. I would love to be you for a week or two. Living in Moscow, that is. :) God Bless.

Dina said...

Just in time for our arrival! Eight dollars is pretty steep, but here in West Africa I would pay eight dollars just for the paper cup. What a treat. And I don't even like Starbucks that much!

Our blog is at www.place2place.blogs.com
Do you mind if I use your picture of the front of the store on my blog? (I can't seems to sign up for a goggle account, sorry to be anonymous, I'm not really. You can also contact me at dbernardin@earthlink.net.) Thanks! Dina

Denise :o) said...

That's GREAT news!!! Gotta love Starbucks! Yes, it's expensive, but I'd have to say... worth it!!

The mugs sound neat. Wonder if they sell them online.

Question for you, seeing how you live in Moscow you might have some insight... my husband and I want to send a couple of boxes of gifts to the orphanage my son was in in Moscow. Any advice on how to ship it???? Please email me at dgodwin77@frontiernet.net

Thanks so much!!

Nataliya said...

Even though it's expensive, it probably feels so nice to be able to enjoy Starbucks coffee in Moscow, especially if smoking is not allowed! I'm wondering if this is the only place serving 20 oz size!

Anonymous said...

I don't know how I stumbled upon this site, but find it very interesting and what a great idea you have had. My son is majoring in Russian Language in college and hopes to study abroad in Russia next year. We are both huge Starbucks fans and I would love to give him a Starbucks Matryoshka Travel Mug for his birthday in Sept. Would it be possible for you to ship to me. I could pay you in advance or set something up with you, whatever you wish. Must get my hand on 2 of them, Please. E-mail me at krazykat125@yahoo.com if possible. I appreciate your helpfullness in advance and hope you are well and enjoying your time there. Thanks

USABOY90210 said...

WOOW LATTE 9$$$$$$ ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? HERE IN LOS ANGELES IS 4$

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.