Wednesday, February 6, 2008

It's Been a Hard Day's Night



So... This morning Katya and I went back to the doctor's office. He took one look at me and exclaimed, "Ah! Mais quelle tête tu fais!" (Kind of a polite way of saying, "Whoah! You look horrible!"). That's sure how I felt...

Final diagnosis: an infection that is like Strepp; an inner ear infection; a sinus infection and the flu. Yikes. Katya had a chest x-ray and still has bronchitis.

It took everything out of me to just get us to the doctor and home. I sat there trembling from the fever while we waited for the x-rays.

It was soooo nice to finally get home and crash. Katya felt a lot better than I did, though, and she begged me to teach her how to knit. I didn't get to sleep, but we did relax.

The babysitter arrived a bit before Natalia got home and I thought I'd have an easy night; I could finally go to sleep. Natalia thought otherwise. She refused to listen to Nina and I had to step in--again, and again, and again, and... well... you get the picture. I won't get into details--suffice to say it was BAD. NOTHING would get through to Natalia.

Talk about a parenting low. I felt so ill and I just wanted to rest. I wanted my kids to snuggle with me and help to keep things quiet. I wanted them to take their medicine without making a fuss. Katya was really good, but Natalia fought me every step of the way...

This is what I heard for about an hour and a half, off and on. Incidentally, this is what I used to hear every day for much longer. I really pray that her vocal chords will heal one day from the damage done in the past. It tears me apart when she abuses her voice; I know how she's hurting herself by doing so, and I want her to be able to sing and speak with the voice God intended her to have!

Now she's sound asleep. Amen. And so, in a few minutes, will I be, too.

p.s. The shower is no longer at our house. Another friend generously offered to host it and I'll just show up if I have no more fever. I would have loved to have hosted it myself--with all the bells and whistles--but there's no way I could. My friend will be glad... She's always telling me to "let go" a little and not push myself so hard...

4 comments:

Katya said...

Ugh. You sound terrible. Get some sleep. HUGS!

Tina in CT said...

I still think you should have the Nanny come stay and you should check into a hotel. Too bad it really couldn't happen. - Mom

Anonymous said...

Moscow Mom if you read this could you get in touch with me? I am writing a tourist guide to Moscow and would really appreciate an HONEST parental view of the various children's attractions. Thanks if you can, rghecquet@googlemail.com

Melissa Q. said...

I hope you can get some rest and heal. you sound awful..i;m so sorry. sending hugs
meese