Thursday, February 7, 2008

Make-Over

Thank you, thank you, Rachael, for the pointers about how to design one's own blog header. Your explanations were very helpful--and yet I *still* spent way too many hours to admit how long it took.

Once I got the hang of it, it was fun to play around with the designs--but I still very frustrated by the limitations. I wish that "ribbons" came in colors other than pink and brown. I wish I could crop my picture of matrioshka dolls so that there's no background--just the dolls, so I could position them on the page as a decoration. (Anyone know how to do that???? I'd be SOOOO grateful!) I would also really appreciate it if anyone could show me how to install seamless wallpaper strips on both sides of the blog, about 2 cm wide (or maybe a tad bigger).

Here's another header I did:


Time to go back to bed... Still sick... But at least both girls were in school today for the first time in thirteen days!!!

6 comments:

Rachael said...

It looks great!

I think cropping your picture as you described is beyond the capabilities of the scrapblog site. You'd probably have to make your header in photoshop or corel draw to accomplish that (and then use that program to just make the header graphic). But photoshop makes me crazy...I just cannot figure it out. I need to take a class or something. But *if* you were able to use photoshop to make your header layout, all you would have to do after that, is still go through the same steps: save it as a jpeg, resize it to 900x600 pixels and then import it into your header picture like before. Now, the wallpaper strips on the side: I don't know. You could do it easy if you changed to the "scribe" template, but I really don't know how to do it in minima. If I figure it out (in all my spare time) you will be the first to know! :)

Now go rest and get better!

Nataliya said...

I love this new header, it looks awesome!

Hope you'll get better soon!

Lori said...

The header looks great! Scrapblog can be very frustrating, I wasted a lot of time on it too trying to make other ones that never turned out quite right.
What would it look like if you put a very mild pattern wallpaper (that doesn't make it too hard to read the writing)behind the whole thing? Or a textured looking solid.

Muddy said...

I know how to cut out pictures like you are talking about so you can put just the cropped out part on the background of your choice. Unless the program you guys are using (I've only taken a quick look) allows other file formats besides .jpg, then in order for you to have what you are hoping for would be to crop out the picture of the dolls and have it pasted onto the background of your choice so that it would flow seamlessly into what you are working on. (I hope that makes sense) I use paint shop pro and photoshop when I do photo/image editing. Email me if you think I could be of help to you and I would gladly do it.

Dina said...

Open the file in photoshop. Use the lasso tool to draw around the doll. Go to select>feather and set the feather at something like 5, depending on how big your original is. Select>inverse, hit delete. That gets rid of the background. Select>inverse again and you now have the dolls all by themselves. This is one of the many ways to get rid of the background in photoshop. Love the new look. Don't add a wallpaper, just more of your great pictures in the entries!

Anonymous said...

Tamara,
check out Jen and Leo blog- you can get to it from Katya's blog - it looks to me like Jen has the wallpaper strips on her blog
Olga