Sunday, April 27, 2008

Happy Russian Orthodox Easter


As we observed the city celebrate Easter today (that's a "Happy Easter" banner over the street)... so, so happy that it's finally spring... my thoughts were already of next winter, of next Christmas... and of the joy that Rachael's Simple Wishes etsy store profits will bring to the orphans at her daughter's orphange who still don't have families.

So... Here's a preview of some Easter egg decorating (and display) kits that you'll be able to buy from her store for next year! I'll mail them to you this summer, Rachael! There's a little sumthin' for your four for next Easter, too :-) The first kits are super-cool cardboard egg stands in traditional Russian patterns. Then you'll see a variety of "wraps" that Russians put on their eggs--put these plastic rings around your eggs, submerse them in hot water, and they shrink to conform to the egg. I picked out a variety of traditional Russian Christian/folk patterns. There's one funky gold Russian puffy-paint design kit, and then... RUSSIAN EGG WASHCLOTHS! Are those cool or what??! Put 'em in water and... presto change-o!


And to you, my faithful commenters with kids who have ties to Russia... Debi, Annie, Tami, "Big" Katya, Olga, Nataliya, Christine, Jeannie (and well, why not--you, too, Robin. Dina? You'll be here then! No need to send something to you!) ... I need your regular mail addresses because I have a little Easter something for each of you for next year :-) You can e-mail me at tamara221 at hotmail dot com. You'll hear from me at the beginning of July! And for those of you out there who've been reading, but haven't shared with me that your kids are from here--or you are--there's still time! I have some extras... !!!! Let me know who you are :-)
Please don't worry about my having spent too much; as I've said before, Moscow is a city of contrasts. Some things are ridiculously expensive... and then others, well, are DARN CHEAP. I did not break the bank on this one.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are sooo kind...that is way to expensive though is it not...I am happy to send you my address but please don't send things and spend the money on it...I was so excited to see your purchases for Rachel's store and can not wait to purchase them for our Easter celebrations next year...you are too kind...
Debi

Tina in CT said...

It's Mom. I'd love some of the Russian blue design wraps for next Easter to use for my kitchen table decorations.

Nataliya said...

These are beautiful! It's still so strange to me that people can openly celebrate Easter in former Soviet Union - how cool is that?

Thank you so much for your offer, I'll e-mail you with my address!

Hristos Voskres!

Christine said...

How cool! Happy Easter! I am very excited that Spring is in the air in Russia. Thank you for your generosity, these are so pretty. I will email you.

Christine said...

P.S. Can I add you to my blogroll?

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you know this, but some of your readers might not and could misunderstand your post. The sign hanging over the street in your picture says, "Christ is risen!" not "Happy Easter." The appropriate response is "Indeed He is risen!" (or "Truly He is risen!" depending on your translation).

periwinkle said...

Hi, just found your blog--happy easter. I have a friend who will be in Russia shortly and he has kindly offered to get me some fabric, could you possibly tell me where the best stores are and are the prices ok
Thank you
Lisa x

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter!
(I know there is no "happy" attached to any Russian religious holidays, but I am writing in English).
Tamara, I just wanted to say thank you for your story about coffee grinder - I am still laffing - I have number of these stories in my life.
Olga

Anonymous said...

you are so thoughtful - can i pick up my stuff when i see you in colorado? sooooo looking forward to that! ok, so the plastic cylinders shrink and stick on the eggs? we got some of these a few years ago and never knew what to do with them : ) I just kept them b/c they truly are stunning, but they aren't on eggs...good grief, need to keep taking language lessons, huh?!?

miss you!
jeannie

garnet said...

These are gorgeous and so absolutely something we need. Trying to dye brown eggs simply doesn't work, in my book at least.

Now I'm feeling inspired to do a post about the eggs I've collected -- since most of them are real, "blown-out", eggs, they are strictly "hands off!" and don't work for Easter.

And that brings make memories of the "Christ is risen!" "Indeed He is Risen" comments.

Seraphina said...

Hi there - I'm a relatively new expat in Moscow and my husband, although Russian, hasn't lived in Russia since college. We have a one year old daughter that I'd love to get some of this type of stuff for. Where do you get it? I need your source! Thanks!
--Seraphina

Rachael said...

Tamara, How cool is that?! Thank-you so much! I can't wait to get all my goodies! :)

I reeeaaalllly need to get some new stuff in the Simple Wishes store. It feels neglected. :( But, I've got lots of things "planned"! :)

Rachael said...

P.S. Happy Easter to you. Or, Indeed He is Risen! (Whichever you prefer!)

Do you know how to make Kulich? I kind of thought about making it for Orthodox Easter, but obviously missed the opportunity this year, since it's now passed and I'm just asking you!

Tami said...

Thanks so much for thinking of us. I'll send you the address. ;)

Mike and Gail said...

I read you blog. My girls are from Ukraine. Do you have extras? Would love to share with them.

Gail