Saturday, April 12, 2008

Horton Hears a "Huh???"

This post seems so a propos given the turmoil I've written about in the past few days...

Two weeks ago, I took the girls to see the "Horton" movie at one of the Mega Malls here. Like most critics, I cringed for Theodore Geisel (Doctor Seuss) as I saw what happened to his original story... I think my pain was lessened by that fact that we watched it dubbed--and well-dubbed, in fact--and we didn't have to hear Jim Carrey's over-the-top antics.

In any case, the screenplay differed from the book in quite a few ways, one of them being that the tiny male creature who lives inside the microscopic "puff" that Horton saves now has 99 children. 98 girls and 1 boy. (Don't even get me started on how idiotic it is that his SON is the one with whom the father longs to connect, and the SON is the one who ends up saving their whole world. That storyline is NOT in the original, and clearly the writer of the screenplay doesn't have any daughters himself--or if he does, poor them).

99 children. That intrigued Natalia.

Natalia: Do you think we could have 99 children, Mommy?

Me: WHAT? (Calmed down). Hmm... What do you think?

Natalia: Well, we'd need a whole airplane to go visit our grandparents in America.

Me: Yess....

Natalia: But it could be really fun. You'd be pretty tired, though.

Me: Yesssssss....

Natalia: Uh-oh.

Me: What?

Natalia: Well, I just realized... What if all those other children were as loud as me and Katya?

Me: Yessss?

Natalia: You'd be deaf and we'd really be in trouble. We love you too much to do that to you.


Moral of the story: Natalia decided not to ask for 97 siblings. Phew!

5 comments:

Annie said...

Ha! Your girls must really keep you in stitches. But I know they are as articulate as they are because you talk to them.

I decided to give this movie a pass.... The book is everything it should be.

Tami said...

Thanks for the review...if we do decide to go see the movie, we'll wait until it's at the dollar theatre.
BTW...why do they call it the dollar movie, when it costs at least a buck fifty to see it? I just don't get it. :)

Muddy said...

I remember watching the cartoon 30 minute special that came on TV when I was little in the early 1970's. It was my least favorite Seuss story and I was tramatized by the whole idea that they would boil the dust spect and cage horton.

When I saw this movie was coming out, I pretty much wrote it off. Then I saw where they worked in an REO Speedwagon song and for a brief 5 seconds I was interested. Only 5 seconds. Interest passed.

BTW, have you ever looked at Kidthing for your girls? It reads the story to them in a fun way. The Lorax is the next book they are offering free http://www.kidthing.com/thelorax/ Last month was Horton-and is why I even thought to mention kidthing. (I thought it might still be the free giveaway there)

garnet said...

What a brain this child has!

kate said...

i have boycotted both jim carey's ruinations of seuss books. (this and grinch)
why ruin a book? Why? OH, WHY?
leave a good thing alone, say seuss and i.