Friday, April 25, 2008

My Favorite Gadget

Here is my absolute favorite kitchen gadget, a wonderful little gem for only 40 rubles/$1.70 at IKEA. This little wand whips milk, letting you make delicious cappuccinos and lattes at home. I used to have an aerolatte wand, but it broke over a year ago. (If you can't get easily get to IKEA, I'd say go ahead and order the aerolatte; it's only $11.42 on amazon).

Every morning I grind fresh coffee beans, brew a pot of coffee, and warm up my milk in the microwave for one minute. I then add 1 teaspoon of unrefined sugar or a dash of vanilla syrup, froth the milk, and add the hot coffee. Instead of using espresso, I prefer to use regular coffee... so I can drink two!

The girls love it when I make them babyccinos: foamed milk with anything delicious added in. The promise of the special drink can sometimes magically get girls out of bed, cure sad faces and generally instill peace. Their favorite flavorings are:
  • Hershey's chocolate or strawberry syrup (a real treat; you can only get it at Stockmann--the expensive Finnish grocery store that carries American and other international brands)
  • honey, the yummy artisan/organic Russian kinds
  • vanilla or caramel syrup from Starbucks

3 comments:

Katya said...

Ha ha ha. I am sitting, drinking my coffee, which has milk whipped using that same little contraption.
I love that thing. I use it every morning!

Annie said...

This is so funny - did you note the response [from my son Aidan] on my blog post about the chopper? He asked me if the chocolate milk whipper wasn't REALLY my favorite appliance. And this is it!

Dede said...

I bought one of these and I can't figure out how to get the batteries to fit. It says it uses 2 AA batteries but they both won't go in the battery compartment at the same time. Am I doing something wrong or is mine just defective?