Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Russia Fairy


When you read my first post from today, you'll see the cup that I got for Annie and some breadboxes that I offered to bring back for her.

Rachael then mentioned she had a wishlist...

And I bet that quite a few of you might have more "Oh, I wish I'd gotten one of XXX when we were in Moscow..."

Your older Russian-speaking kids might love some new Russian books...

I've been here long enough that I have many inexpensive ideas for "Gotcha Day" gifts, etc....

Add to that the super cool new Starbucks matrioshka travel mug for $13...

So...

Would anyone else like me to bring something back to the USA? Seriously, we always have one or two empty suitcases with us as we travel back to America. First come, first serve. Let me know and I'll do my best... I'm really serious. It's not an imposition.

Just think... All that Gzhel pottery... Russian books... Painted boxes or brooches... Nativity scenes... Wooden Christmas ornaments... Matrioshka sets... Amber jewelry... Fun carved wooden toys... Russian chocolates with distinctly Russian wrappers... Linen dish towels... GORGEOUS linen tablecloths with matching napkins... Russian fabric... (Check out this post from when I visited the fabric store with the amazing linen).

For $50, I could get you some chocolates, an ornament or two (or a pretty wooden painted egg), a wooden toy, a pin or a piece of Gzhel pottery and a pretty towel or two... I would just ask that you send me check c/o my mom once I know your total, and then that you reimburse me for the postage. (I'm offering this to those of you whom I've met through my blog--I feel as we now know each other. If you've been reading my blog for a while but haven't commented, introduce yourself--I'd love to meet you and see if I could help you out).

4 comments:

Natalie said...

oh, I bet my sister has a list a mile long.

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for many months now after Rachel told me about it. And when we come back next year for our third adoption, I hope we can hook up. You do a wonderful job in sharing your stories/experiences. I guess that is provided you are still there. I live in Illinois w/ my 2 adopted children who are from Samara. Cheryl

Rachael said...

Oh, and I didn't even have to say pretty please! You're an awesome friend. I will have to think about my wish list, but you know I'd LOVE to have you be my "buyer".

garnet said...

My in-laws keep asking why we can't stop in Romania on our way back to Kenya. They don't seem to get the whole "excess" luggage idea. We leave Kenya with maybe two suitcases between the four of us (and one of them is stuffed with heavy gifts) and we come back with goodness knows how many. (And this is even before the luggage allowance dropped to fifty pounds a bag). I think our record was 22 checked pieces -- but that was when they had the big scare in London so we were allowed absolutely no carry-ons. We had passports, wallets, keys, and some diapers and wipes. Very freeing to walk through the airport that way but the wait of up to a month for our luggage to finally all catch up with us was awful.

And, just for curiosity's sake, is there any kind of website that showcases the various sort of things available in Russia? It would be a lot of fun to look at. I'd love to see the amber jewelry and anything made of wood in particular.