Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Underground Music

video

This music was so beautiful today that I had to share it; unfortunately, the battery on my video camera died before I was finished filming. The quality of the sound is also NOTHING like it was live; it got garbled in the recording--but is still impressive anyhow.

Salaries for average Russians are much lower than the cost of living in Moscow; that's why it's so common to have doctors, lawyers, scientists, etc. earn extra money by picking up hitchhikers (that's how most people in the city "take a taxi"--you just stick out your hand). Artists earn extra money by performing in the passageways under the street (that's how you cross busy streets) or in the subway.

The quality of the music can vary, but it's bound to be good when you have such a concentration of world-class musicians in one place... And many, many students who are here to study at the conservatory and in real need of money.

I never heard a veritable orchestra in the subway when we were living in New York; this concert today was truly special. They were set up in the passageway linking the Biblioteka Imeni Lenina metro station and the Kremlin/the Alexandrovsky Gardens.

(I have so many half-written posts adding up... Other neat things I've done around the city recently with the girls... I'm just too tired to complete them. Katya has been suffering from increasingly bad insomnia these past few months and it's hurting me almost as much as it's harming her. What seven-year-old can stay awake until 2:30 a.m.??!!! I'm too tired to read others' blogs and comment right now, or answer e-mail. I just offer up this short post for your enjoyment).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about Katya...must be tougher with out the western doctors to get advice from...I hope it subsides soon...the music was extraordinary...thanks for sharing it with us.
Debi

Tina in CT said...

What does this say about their economy that people with such gifted talent and education have to perform under the streets and drive gypsy cabs to survive? Tragic. Their playing was beautiful.

Nataliya said...

OMG, I have goosebumps listening to the music. Amazing!

I really hope Katya's insomnia will go away soon...

AdoptaMama said...

Phenonmenal. Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

((Hugs)) to you and Katya both. Hoping you find a solution to her insomnia quickly. Poor kid.

~Patti

HRH said...

That is amazing about the taxi situation. I had no idea.

Rachael said...

The music was beautiful. Quite impressive for "street players"!

Anonymous said...

Funny, I'm visiting Moscow after several years away and walked by that same perekhod concert.

garnet said...

Thanks so much for sharing.

And I'll be praying that Katya is able to get some sleep soon. That's got to be hard on the entire family.

Annie said...

How lovely. How lucky you stumbled on them! Actually I think it is WONDERFUL! Yes; perhaps it is too bad that great musicians have to play in the underground, but on the other hand it means that ordinary people can listen! I'd love to take my children to concerts, but unless they are free in the park, it isn't feasible.