Monday, May 19, 2008

Adam & Eve Fountain... And No Hot Water


This spring a new fountain was opened next to the Novokuznetskaya metro station (ring line, southern station, near the Tretyakov Gallery).



I walked by it today and it's actually quite nice! I say "actually" given how ugly some other recent additions to Moscow have been: namely the disproportionate and ugly Peter the Great ship monument that's in the Moscow River in front of the Krasnii Oktyabr chocolate factory and the New Tretyakov Gallery--across from Christ the Savior Cathedral.


I like the mini "apple fountains" that dot the perimeter.



It's also neat how they're both sitting on the snake.



Every bench around the fountain was taken by people eating their lunches outside (there are a variety of food kiosks around the subway station). The fountains in Moscow were all supposedly turned on on April 30th--I've yet to see some of our neighborhood ones in action, though.



Maybe that's because our hot water is turned off? Yes, joy, welcome to the wonders of hot water in Moscow in the summer--or the lack thereof. Every summer the city turns off every neighborhood's water for a period of 14 to 21 days so that the water pipes can be checked and repaired. UGH. We have a hot water heater, but the amount of water you can get is limited--so forget having the girls take a bath or doing dishes after we shower. I wrote in much more detail about the yearly hot water hiatus here.

9 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Beautiful fountain and parklike setting. Nice for people to enjoy the surroundings while having lunch-on-the-go.

Anonymous said...

I do not believe it - I left Russia 29 years ago and we had the same problem in Leningrad every summer (and it is cold over there even in summer)- no hot water and we did not have separate water heater - such a misery!
Olga

kate said...

Already? Wow. I am of the fortunate few whom this doesn't touch. My hot water heater is plenty for hot showers, etc. (Yes, it also means I control my temp in the flat--somewhat.) Wonder about my new flat...

kate said...

ps LOVE the fountain. Let's go.

Anonymous said...

what a cool fountain - love it! looking forward to july : )

miss you!
jeannie

Carey and Norman said...

I can't imagine not having hot water.

I like the new fountain too. Something we don't have where I live. I did see the Peter statue during our trips to Moscow and it is quite visible from the Kremlin, Cathedral, etc. as you mentioned.

Nataliya said...

Some things never change - no hot water in the summer time was given when I grew up in Ukraine :) Also in Odessa ALL water was turned off from midnight to 6:00 a.m. at all times, so it took me several years to get used to the fact that I can take a shower after midnight :)

Christine said...

We encountered this problem. LOL I am glad to live in America.

Beautiful fountain though!

garnet said...

What a gorgeous fountain. The little leaeves on Adam made me laugh!

Hope by now your hot water is back on. I know so many people where my in-laws live have switched to their own personal water heaters (or for their block) since the city was just so unreliable. It's really nice now -- I hated only being able to bathe during the few hours in the morning or evening that hot water was on. Usually I was on vacation when I was there and not getting up that early!

Now if we only had full-time hot water here rather than having to turn on the heater (or hope it's a sunny day).