Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Eagle Has Landed (With Lots of Luggage that *I* Didn't Have to Pack or Lug!)

First of all, of course we are thrilled that Chris is back safe and sound. The girls LEAPT onto him when he got home today. Then they attacked the boxes he brought with him.

For a few hours, our living room looked as if a very happy tornado had blown through. Here it is after I had already done a LOT of cleaning up. I was so happy to be able to replace all of my work clothing that the cleaning lady had ruined by various means...


Who, you might wonder, is that famous blonde amongst the chaos? Why, Hannah Montana, of course. Hannah Montana with Natalia's ever-present drive-Mommy-crazy-poorly-positioned headband! Santa had brought her a wig for Christmas, but one of my students accidentally ruined it--so we got her another one. She was quite proud to put it on again.



They were ecstatic over the clothing my mom had sent from a kids' consignment shop and everything I had bought during Hanna Andersson's spring sale and with my Gymbucks at Gymboree.

Katya, of course, went crazy about her new books. These should last her until we go to America in late June... I'm looking forward to using all the Eloise books and the "Talk Time" game (almost half-off) with the girls I tutor in English. We ordered and/or my mom sent used copies of the complete Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew series, the Hannah Montana/High School Musical junior novelization books (well, they don't watch tv--I'll let her at her at least read the episodes!), the Little House on the Prairie Chapter Book series, all of the Eloise ready-to-read books, more puzzle books, and the next level of Nancy Drew books.




We threw in a little sumthin' for their dolls and the girls immediately rearranged our scenery book to accomodate their presents. I swear, seeing the DOLLS' lives so neatly organized does provide me with the teeniest bit of relief sometimes... I can look over at their "home" and temporarily block out my own...



With no time to spare, Chris realized he needed to fill up one more box (he thought my stuff wouldn't fit in one box, but it actually did), so he made a last-minute dash to Costco and grabbed whatever he thought we could use. I personally wouldn't have taken up so much space/weight with cases of Mac and Cheese, but I'm glad to have it... (I do buy Annie's, but I remove it from all of the boxes and bring back each box's contents in little baggies). We're excited about the peanut butter, Worcestershire (can't find it ANYWHERE anymore and I like it in my Caesar salad dressing--Katya's favorite meal recently) and Zip-Loc bags. I'm not using many chocolate chips these days, but they certainly will get used...


I'm also quite excited about my Champion running skort, peds, etc... Yay!!!

And now to bed... And the super-duper soft high thread count pima cotton sheets that Chris picked up at Costco (along with some amazing pillows). After that night in the suite at a hotel two weeks ago, he "can't go back" to our old IKEA-bedding ways! I sure don't mind!

I'll reply to comments e-mail in the next few days; spent my time instead doing these posts so that the grandparents would know Chris got back safely and we're well.

Rumor has it that Delta might be reducing baggage per person to one 50 lb bag on the USA-Russia flights, so we're glad to have had this chance to get more stuff into the country... I'm PRAYING that their website--and not the agent who spoke with Chris--is correct, that the baggage reductions will only apply to flights within the USA and to Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands... It will HURT if these horrid restrictions are true...

15 comments:

MamaPoRuski said...

That really is a lot to lug, what a great man! And the headband, I mean sweatband, is soooo eighties, LOL! Hope you are rested soon.

kate said...

Nerry Christmas! ;>

Muddy said...

How wonderful that he filled a box of surprises like he did.

MoscowMom said...

Yes, it's a lot... But USUALLY, it's me, travelling on my own with two children (especially when they were 2 and 4...!), packing up at least EIGHT boxes/suitcases, lugging it all up to our apartment, then unpacking it all on my own and watching the children until they go to bed that night--and then getting up with them over the next two weeks while they battle jet lag and think it's morning at 3 a.m.

I also live 3 hours away from the airport when at my mom's, whereas his folks are right near one, and he arrived--spent an hour with us--and then slept for 14 hours.

Hmm....

I'm so thankful that he works so hard so we could afford what was *in* the boxes!!!! :-) Now that he has these business trips to the US more often, I think he will have fun going to Costco... He hasn't had the chance to just "pick stuff out" since we moved here; there are always more pressing items that need to get packed.

I think that Katya's reading has really changed things; you can't "do without" reading material for your kid... At times like that, it's so apparent that things wouldn't be like this if we were in the United States. Then we could just get (or check out from the L-LIBRARY!) whatever we'd need... Living here, you kind of have no choice...

Tina in CT said...

The apt. looks like Xmas. I noticed that Natalia had on the Disney princess nightgown I'd sent. Good thing I washed everything first before shipping the box.

What is with the headbands????? Is she starting a new fashion?

We need to get the box out of your books as there quite a few Nancy Drews in there.

I have all of the summer bathing suits and clothes here all washed and ready for summer camp.

I thought of Chris this AM when I woke up as I knew he'd be back in Moscow by then.

Tina in CT said...

Are the dolls in the camp scene book Elizabeth and Kit? It's difficult to tell when they are out of their period clothes and hair styles?

Rachael said...

Wow! That's quite a lot of loot to lug! Nice to be on the receiving end, not the lugging end this time, eh?

Tina in CT said...

Rachel,

That is a mere pittance compared to what Tamara brings each summer with their winter clothes & boots, birthday gifts, Xmas gifts and gifts to have on hand for birthday parties, food, medicine, etc. It looks like she is packing for the invasion of Normandy.

Anonymous said...

enjoy your christmas in may ; ) i remember the packing and jet leg well, it is a lot to deal with. glad to hear chris made it home ok, will you have him send jerry and email, jerry has some questions for him. miss you!!!

love, jeannie

garnet said...

The room may be a mess, but what a wonderful mess to have -- especially since you were on the receiving and not packing end.

The headband made me laugh. I just put up a picture with my daugher wearing hers "almost" the same way -- but she hates that it keeps slipping off.

The picture of the things your husband brought also made me laugh. That's how my husband would pack -- so neatly and tidily. Me -- ALL that packaging would be gone. Not even the plastic wrap around the peanut butter. Got to spread things around in different cases so that if customs opens something, it doesn't look like we're running an import business. The mac and cheese would be in ziplocs. So would the vitamins and the taco seasoning -- and all the ziploc bags would be spread around.

Hope they don't drop the luggage allowance on you. We're thrilled to each get another 20 kg bag this summer. When we found that out it made my day! I'll be bringing back so many books.

And, I am so impressed with how nicely the dolls look. Ours always look in shambles. Wish my daughter took such good care. I love that background setting and from time to time looking into getting one off Ebay but they are *so* expensive.

bleeding espresso said...

Hah! My mom is coming in June...the poor woman will be loaded down with stuff as well. You remind me I have to check on the baggage restrictions for her!

I'm *so* jealous of that cheddar....

Annie said...

I have a great idea for a study. Little girls and their play and how it relates to .... gosh - learning style, personality, later success in life??? Whatever. I find it fascinating that your girls just dote on their American Girls dolls. Lydia had several, and liked them, and would dress and display them, but somehow just didn't know how to play with them. On the other hand, she would spend hours - many, many hours playing with Barbies and other small dolls, and an enormous box of clothing and accoutrements. Anastasia has the Barbie box, and the American Girls at her disposal, but her play is all about "babies"; she wants to play house or take care of her life-sized dolls, and haul them in and out of her baby-carrier, and stroller, dress, feed, change them, etc. Such different ways to play! I, on the other hand, more like Lydia would play with tiny little figures (sounds pathetic but made no difference - my little "people" were clothes pins with bits of cloth rubber-banded to their bodies, and little faces drawn on with marker) I'd sit for hours making up stories - novels, about their lives. So - "Comparison of Modus Operandi of the Imaginative Play of Pre-pubescent Females: An Exploratory Study" Anyone up for it?

Michelle said...

I have recently come across your blog and am loving reading your daily happenings.

If you need anyone to discuss the Little House series, I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert. We could do an e-mail book club.

I even made my family take a vacation to see the 'real ' little house in Missouri. I was enthralled with the stories of Laura and Mary.

Annie said...

Hi, Michelle! I am a Little House girl myself. We also went to the museum in Missouri - as well as to the site of the "Little House" in Minnesota; my daughter and I waded in Plum Creek and, best of all we visited the Shores of Silver Lake, the surveyors cottage and the site of the homestead, sitting for awhile under Pa's cottonwood trees. These books were the first things I bought (one at a time) when I got an allowance, and I read them probably 20 times each over the years - including multiple times to my daughter. On later readings I came to realize that these books had a significant role in my moral development. They are, in short, wonderful.

Tami said...

I didn't realize how horribly behind I had gotten on reading your blog. LIfe right now is a little nuts...I'll be posting about it soon, I promise. In the meantime, enjoy the loot! I bet maple syrup never looked so good! :)