Friday, May 2, 2008

I Know... I Am Able to... I Can...


There's a special bulletin board in Katya's classroom where each week, the teacher posts the children's names for various achievements. They don't have actual numerical/letter grades in the elementary school and the children aren't competitive amongst themselves; the kids strive more to top their own individual best efforts. This board honors all of the kids' achievements in various areas and it's a big deal to them--both to make it, and to cheer on those who do.

I was in Katya's classroom on Wednesday and I saw her name on it for a variety of successes--I was so darn proud! Here is what she had done:
  • She participated in a poetry-writing contest and her writing will be included in the school's literary magazine.
  • She did the best job in the class on her homework last week (with one other girl).
  • She (and six other kids) mastered everything in their weekly mathematics unit.
  • She (and four other kids) had the best handwriting in the class last week.
  • She (and three other kids) exhibited mastery in their writing, using perfect grammar and spelling (in Russian)

Her teacher had told me at her most recent parent-teacher conference (in March) that Katya was among the top kids in the class, but I hadn't actually seen it broken down like this. Yay! It's so great to see that she's happy at school and loving academics.

7 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Big hugs and congrats to Katya from Grandma Streusel!

Muddy said...

Yeah Katya! That is a cool way to acknowledge accomplishments and encourage the kids to strive for excellence.

ourboysourlives said...

not to take away from K...but mom deserves kudos too...you both do...

woohoo

garnet said...

Way to go, Katya!

Nataliya said...

Wow, I'm very impressed with Katya's successes! I bet you are beaming with pride!

I have to commend Katya's teacher -her teaching style seems great, and very American! I can't imagine seeing this kind of achievements display in a standard Russian school. And do you really have parent-teacher conferences? Like one-one-one? Instead of "roditel'skoe sobranie"? How exciting! I was also very surprised to see the names like "Ustinya" or "Grunya". I guess the old names are fashionable now!

bleeding espresso said...

Woohoo for Katya :)

Annie said...

Congratulations, mama! Isn't it wonderful to see our children succeed. The sweetest taste of motherhood.