Monday, May 26, 2008

Katya's Spring Piano Recital


Last week was Katya's final piano recital of the year. (She's quickly practicing beforehand in the picture above). She played three short pieces and then sang a song from the musical "The Little Prince" with all the other students; I'm including video below for grandparents' pleasure.


She had been sick for almost a week before the recital and hadn't had a chance to practice. We still haven't gotten a piano; she really does need one to properly continue. I've been looking for a used piano, but haven't found one yet. We'll probably end up just getting a good digital one (with weighted keys) when we get back from America this August. Now that we might be moving, I'm glad we don't have to also transfer a piano to a new apartment*...


I've also included pictures of the bouquets that Natalia and I brought with us to give both Katya and Katya's teacher.


Bouquets are so unique here; I'd never seen anything quite like them before moving to Russia. The use of big leaves, netting and the occasional prop (little wooden ladybugs, silk butterflies or birds) make them rather eye-catching!


Here are the videos. First, here is Katya playing.




Then, here is the group finale when all the students sang and a fourth grader accompanied them.




*Moving Update: There's one apartment on our street--I can even see it from our living room windows-- that we're really hoping we'll get. It's almost 50% bigger than the one we're in now and would cost 95,000 rubles--the amount that our landlord is now going to expect for the apartment we're currently in. It has modern PVX windows, much newer appliances than we have now, a dishwasher (!) and air conditioning...!! The current tenants won't know until the end of next week if they'll be renewing their lease. I'm PRAYING they don't! We'll move into that place if we can; otherwise, we'll likely just negotiate for repairs on our current place and stay put.

6 comments:

Elle J said...

Nice playing, Katya!! Very impressive to have memorized and performed so nicely w/o your own piano. Keep up the hard work!

Annie said...

Good luck on the new apartment. I enjoyed the song and the playing, too!

Tina in CT said...

Katya,

You did an excellent job and I'm looking forward to having you play it when you are here visiting this summer! I wish I could go to your school performances!

You look so grown up in your new AG fancy dress. The flowers are so unique and beautiful.

Tina in CT said...

Katya,

You did an excellent job and I'm looking forward to having you play it when you are here visiting this summer! I wish I could go to your school performances!

You look so grown up in your new AG fancy dress. The flowers are so unique and beautiful.

kate said...

AIR CONDITIONING?!?? You win.

garnet said...

Well, I think I am back in the land of commenting on blogs -- if Blogger will let me. It won't open the first entry I tried.

Congratulations to Katya. Wish I could play videos here in Kenya to hear her. That close-up photo is gorgeous.

And love the bouquets. Really cool.

Now to see if Blogger will let me into other posts.