Thursday, May 8, 2008

Oh My G*&$$#%%%#@@!!!!!!

I thought I knew what traffic jams were.

Moscow traffic jams. For the uninitiated, they're considered the worst in the world by people who have lived all over the globe.

Well, I didn't.

Today I left the house to go the gym, allowing one full hour to drive there and back (even though it should take 20 minutes total), and one and a half hours to exercise/shower.

But nooooooooooooooo.....

We got a new president yesterday. Tomorrow is Victory Day. And throughout the city, random roads are closed and traffic is the craziest I have ever seen.

I pulled off of our relatively quiet street to head to the gym--and was immediately consumed by the throng. I realized I was screwed and tried to make a turn to just head home--but the traffic was so intense I got sucked in and could only go straight. It took me exactly two and a half hours to make it to a turn-around spot and home again. I averaged half a mile per hour. Now the babysitter is gone, and Natalia's home sick, so I can't go running in the neighborhood.

(Incidentally, I thought of ditching the car, running around here and then fetching the car later--but I couldn't even get a to a side of the road while in traffic, and there was no place to leave the car).

Sure wish I'd peed before leaving the house.

Having exercised my "clutch foot" so extensively, I'll refuel with a latte.

2 comments:

Tina in CT said...

I don't know how you can stand it?

garnet said...

You have my greatest sympathy. I think I would lose my mind.