Monday, May 12, 2008

Only in Moscow...


So today I took a cab from the Arbat to Lubyanka. The kids I tutor cancelled, I had some unexpected free time, so I decided to make another trip to Dyetsky Mir. (I went around the 4th floor getting information about where to find my favorite shops--vendors that rented space within the Dyetsky Mir building-- once the store closes next month. I'll post that all separately later this week).

I would have taken the metro and walked, but I had bad blisters from a new pair of shoes.

I got a coffee to go from Starbucks and hailed a cab.

The driver eyed me rather strangely for about five minutes, then got up the nerve to ask, "Whatcha got there? A beer?"

Hah! Only in Moscow would it occur to someone that you'd get a BEER to go!

Meanwhile, I was dressed in a business-type dress and heels because of a meeting at Katya's school...

Sure, mister. Starbucks has a l-o-n-g way to go in marketing the whole "to go" concept...

6 comments:

Tina in CT said...

No wonder they have such high alcoholism if a cabbie thought you had a beer.

ourboysourlives said...

that is too funny...too bad you did not have one for him!!!

Annie said...

Well, seems to me the suspicious part is you carrying your beer in a CUP - why not just the quart-sized BOTTLE?

Oh, well - maybe on second thought, that is just Ivanovo.

Nataliya said...

Ha-ha-ha! Of course - I've never seen people carrying coffee there, but carrying beer is very common :)

The whole concept of carrying a coffee mug or a water bottle took a while for me to get used to. When I got my first job in the States I couldn't understand why everybody is drinking something during the meetings! It didn't take long for me to do the same though :)

Natalie said...

Do your 'to-go' cups not look like the ones in the picture? That doesn't look bad. I remember Rachael complaining that she could never find a coffee place that had 'to-go' cups. I would hate that, there's no time to sit and enjoy coffee in the store!

Eso said...

In Czech republic, you get beer to go even at McDonalds :)

Actualy you can get it all over the Europe.