Sunday, May 11, 2008

Russian Princesses


This week Katya will be returning to the Pioneer (Soviet Youth Group) Camp for three days with her school. They're studying Russian fairy tales and myths and she needed to bring a folk costume with her; she had outgrown the one she's wearing in my top sidebar picture! I took both girls to the central Dyetsky Mir at Lubyanka and we found beautiful costumes for both girls--even the headdresses are gorgeous! The fourth floor of the huge building features little boutiques rented by a wide variety of shops; that's where I've found art supplies, ballet slipper/goods, sewing notions, artisan stuffed dachshunds for my mom, and theatrical costumes these past few years. The woman who made Natalia's pink dress really enjoyed seeing her twirl in it!

I'll really miss that store when it closes for THREE YEARS of renovations next month; I'll do a separate post on the place sometime soon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm a delurker. We adopted our daughter from Tver 3 years ago and I've enjoyed your blog about adapting to Russia. We just moved to the Boston area from Texas via California so we are adapting too. I love the costumes. Is there a way to get one? Do they have an on-line store? My daughter who will be six in August love American girl dolls and to dress up too. Thank you.
Kristin, JIm and Klaire
kollis22@hotmail.com

Tina in CT said...

The girls looks so beautiful (of course they are) in those gorgeous dresses and headpieces. Glad you bought the headpieces too. Love the one of Natalia.

Tina in CT said...

The first two of the girls are so good. I'll have to get a 5x7 for a scrapbook page!

Seraphina said...

UGH! Detskiy Mir at Lubyanka is CLOSING? I live nearby and walk there....I'm so sad.

Love the costumes, though!

Rachael said...

They look great in their costumes. I bought a dress for my Katya but it was not near as elaborate. I was pretty bummed, because our kids' school had a school spirit day where the kids were supposed to wear ethnic costumes and I FORGOT ABOUT IT! Can you believe it? She missed the opportunity to wear her dress!!! Ugh.

Annie said...

They are gorgeous!!! I felt better seeing that those seamstresses also "short-changed" the bands around the hem. That was my only regret about Nastya's most recent saraphan; had I had the time I was going to go all out with at least a food wide hem band, which I think is more traditional, and would have made it more substantial. Anyway, it comforts me that I don't NECESSARILY have to feel that you were thinking "OK, Annie, except for the hem" (which, actually, I had envisioned.)

Nataliya said...

The girls are absolutely gorgeous in their costumes!!!