Thursday, May 29, 2008

Still Got It... Somewhat...

(Edited: one more picture added)


I've felt so crummy from my allergies to poplar pollen and the variety of lilacs here that I haven't run in over two weeks... Off the wagon on my "Couch to 5 K" running plan... I will get "back on" as soon as the infection clears and I feel well enough to breathe fully...

Today, however, I took Katya to meet up with one of her school friends at the ice rink at Evropeysky Mall. Katya usually HATES skating, ruining it for our family by complaining incessantly. Her friend, however, has taken lessons for a few years and she was very sweet about encouraging Katya to give it a shot. I've tried again and again to teach her, but well, I'm her mom and what do I know...

Turns out, quite a bit! I've still "got it," to a degree! Since we were the only people on the ice, I was able to do things normally forbidden during a public session. I *almost* tried an axel (a jump in which you rotate one and a half times in the air), but chickened out. I think I need to go a few more times to get "my feet" back and not risk really hurting myself. My scratch spin traveled all over the place and my camel spin was quite wobbly and short.. but I did do them. I can also still do my single jumps.




Now that I have nice skates that fit, I really do want to go more often! I haven't truly skated since college, and even then I didn't do it all that much... I probably was at my best when in ninth grade. I never got very far--I was an intermediate on the USFSA testing scales--but I really enjoyed it.

Oh--perhaps most importantly, Katya had a great time and learned quite a bit! I'd love to be able go skating with both girls on weekends; now I think that will be possible and fun! Here she is happily taking her friend's advice.

10 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Yeah - a Biellmann! Remember when you had your leg almost up against your back? It's been a long time since I've seen you do one of those! Brings back many, many happy memories of the ice rink and Lake Placid.

Oh, I so hope that Katya has taken a turn so you and the girls can go. I know you said that Natalia wants to take figure skating lessons. Hope you can find a good class for her afternoons in Sept.

Christine said...

[[clapping]] Good job!

ourboysourlives said...

wow...way to go "Irina Slutskaya" a a a a Tamara..whoops going to be a regular at the Olympics...don't forget us little people OK

Katya said...

That looks fun... maybe this summer you can take Nikki out on the ice... he wants to skate. :-)

garnet said...

Lucky, lucky you! I always wanted to be able to skate but a lack of coordination and a fear of falling don't make for good pre-requisites.

Hope Katya can find she enjoys it at the rink. I know what it's like to have an event spoiled by a child who doesn't want to be there.

Rachael said...

Wow, that's YOU in the picture? Awesome. I'm a mess on the ice and my kids all inherited that!

Annie said...

I think I am becoming thoroughly demoralized. You are artistic, a gifted teacher, a marvelous photographer, have a precious goodness about you made perfectly delightful by the inclusion of humor; you write beautifully, know several languages and now I am to understand you are also a FIGURE SKATER??? My spiritual quest is humility, of course, so you can also rest confident that you have done your good deed for the day by making me a much better (certainly more humble) person.

Anonymous said...

Great!!!!
Cheers for you, you look great on ice!
If you will take Nikki skating this summer I will come along. I can not do any of figure skating, but I still can run and play hockey.
Olga

Anonymous said...

fun to watch you...nice job! i think it is very important for kids to see their parents (esp moms!) doing things that they enjoy and are good at: sports, music, etc. even if katya won't skate, it is good for her to see you doing it. we moms have lives too!!! as for me and ice, i'll stick with hockey which is the funnest game ever!!!! have great memories of playing hockey at the dartmouth ice rink : )

miss you!
jeannie

Tami said...

Woohoo! I'm impressed!!!