Friday, June 6, 2008

The Grandmother Machine

Being stuck in traffic (couldn't let a post go by without mentioning traffic, could I??) provides you with the chance to talk with your kids--A LOT.

At one point yesterday while Natalia and I inched our way to fetch Katya, she asked me the strangest question...

Natalia: "Where do they keep the Grandmother Machine?"

Me: "Huh? What do you mean?"

Natalia: "The GRANDMOTHER MACHINE!"

Me: (still not "getting it") "I really don't know what you mean..."

Natalia: (increasingly impatient) "The Grandmother Machine!!!! The machine that makes you into a grandmother! Is it at the hospital?"

Me: (STILL not sure what she meant...) "Can you explain it a little more?"

Natalia: "When Katya and I have babies at the hospital, is the grandmother machine there, too? The machine that makes you OLD the day our babies are born?"

Me: (thinking "OUCH!") "No... So... you think I'll look really old when I become a grandmother? How will I look different?"

Natalia: (thinking for QUITE a while) "Um... I'M not going to tell you... I don't want you mad at ME!"

If only you could have heard her voice as she delivered that last line... It was sooooo funny...

5 comments:

Tina in CT said...

I can hear her tone of voice and am chuckling. The things she (and her sister) come out with are so hysterical at times. Can't wait to hear them in person.

Grandma Streusel (a product of the Grandma machine)

BoufMom9 said...

I can just imagine the tone. LOL

garnet said...

The mind on this girl is amazing. This is hilarious.

Annie said...

Perhaps this is a Russian thing. Anastasia fully believes that when she has children I will suddenly be old. Now, she was a little challenged about how to deal with Aidan's having a baby and my REALLY being a grandmother....but she figured it out: she explained to me that I was very lucky that I had her because I could just "stay a moma" and not "be a grandmother" until she grew up. I think I wish it worked that way.

Jenka said...

Love it! So funny.

I am the mother of eight, the youngest 3 were adopted from Russia in 2006.

I became a grandmother earlier this month. When I got home from the hospital, our 6 year old daughter said, "Where's your babushka hair?" She was expecting me to come home with short, gray hair instead of the long, blond hair I left the house with! I don't wear "grandma clothes" either.

Our daughter had been very concerned that I couldn't be both a mother and a grandmother at the same time but we got that straightened out before the baby came.

Thank you for helping us stay in touch with Russia through your blog! I wish we had known about some of the fun places you take your girls to before our stay there. I long to go back, but I don't know if that will be possible. I will always love Russia.