Monday, June 2, 2008

Ten Months of Vitamins

Today has been a really long day. It started at 8:30 a.m. when I found an empty Gummy Vites container... COSTCO-sized container... and FREAKED. Then I found a second one, almost empty. And then a third.

We buy our vitamins and children's medications in large quantities when in the USA and bring it all back here. We keep everything in a crate, put away, only bringing it out as needed. I didn't have everything under lock and key like we used to when Natalia was still a toddler. Our kids know that medicine is dangerous and never go near it. Katya got into others' medications twice as a toddler and gave us quite a scare; I know what it means to child-proof your home. I just didn't think I needed to do all that anymore.

Plus, well, if my kids are determined to get into something, THEY WILL. After our fourth hair-cutting catastrophe (Katya wielded the scissors--on her own hair, her friend's, and her sister's...) we had all scissors EXTREMELY WELL HIDDEN. Sure enough, she snagged a pair during art class at school when she was five, kept them hidden for a week, and then cut off her bangs, AGAIN, in the school bathroom...

In any case, back to today's scare... Natalia consumed ten months of vitamins over the course of two days (as best I was able to discern; she isn't exactly forthcoming about when she hid the bottles). We rushed to the medical center and she was examined, had her urine and blood tested, and she seems to have come out this ordeal unharmed--other than a bad stomach ache. THANK GOD there was no iron in the vitamins.

I pulled the doctor aside and asked him to do his best to make Natalia grasp the severity of the situation. Let's just say he did a very good job... A rather painful session of blood-drawing further sealed the deal. She does NOT want to do anything to have to go through that again...

Chris is in Germany on business... Didn't call him because I didn't want him to worry... I did, however, run into his co-worker (who is a friend of mine) in the waiting room with her two adorable daughters... She's the one who invited me to the wonderful charity auction with Patch Adams and Maria's Children to provide art therapy and care to Russian orphans last November.

Then we ran into a Hungarian family we'd met at the children's park behind the White House last weekend.

Then we ran into the same friend we had bumped into at GUM department store last month.

Then we ran into one of the families I tutor; Natalia was sooo happy to see her friend and they commiserated over their bandaged arms (her friend got vaccinations).

Last, but not least, I heard "Tamara!" as we were leaving--and it was a friend from the Toddler Play Group I attended our first year here. She had just e-mailed me a few days ago asking for info about kindergartens for next year...

Moscow can feel small, REALLY small, sometimes!

Natalia is now laying down, resting...



She finally accepted that she's not allowed to use the computer as punishment for at least two weeks (Chris and I will discuss it once he's home). Katya is watching "Molly: An American Girl" and working on some of the homeschool historical activities that go with those books...

Wish we could be outside in this glorious sunny weather! Maybe we'll venture out for a while... Just don't want to reward Natalia for her behavior--and missing school--by doing anything fun...

Edited later on: I forgot to mention that I was stopped by yet another traffic cop on the way home from the medical center... I had NO time to spare and no patience for being extorted... I determinedly showed the cop the empty vitamin containers, said I was coming from the hospital with a poisoned child, and I had to rush home since any minute she'd be throwing up in the car... And he actually let me go!!! Not that I'd done anything to warrant being stopped in the first place, but he'd have found a reason to make me pay him a bribe if he'd felt like it...

6 comments:

Tina in CT said...

I remember the day that I saw the half eaten prescription pills that Katya got into and our dash to the hospital here. Not something I'd want to happen ever again.

I bet Natalia won't be doing that again after her ordeal at the ER today.

garnet said...

Oh, my! You have my greatest, greatest sympathies. What stress. I'm so glad she's ok. A few months ago Xander got into my headache medicine and filled a water bottle with about ten of them. We weren't terribly clear whether or not he'd drunk the water. He did admit to putting one in his mouth but said it tasted yucky (understandably) and spit it out. That was an anxious time.

And "glad" to hear that my child isn't the only one to cut her hair (and her clothes at the same time) -- though she was six when she did it. That seemed a bit old for me but maybe it isn't.

Anonymous said...

those vitamins have lots of sugar in them, plus since she thought it was candy and ate so much, maybe a trip to the dentist is in order as well? (as a part of teaching her a lesson, i mean) poor thing - both you and her... can't wait to catch up in colorado : )

miss you!
jeannie

Meredith Teagarden said...

Oh no! How terrifying! Thank heavens she is okay! And the cop at the end of your horris ordeal :(... Glad he let you go.

Rachael said...

How scary. Glad she's okay. We don't even keep the gummy type vitamins in the house, cause I worry about that sort of thing. They just taste TOO good.

Annie said...

Wow. Actually, I recall sneaking a few tasty vitamins as a child (and a few dog biscuits, embarrassingly enough). I knew enough to limit the intake, though. You poor thing.

However, I find it absolutely amazing that on just some ordinary day you can take what appear to be prize-winning photographs. Of course having a gorgeous daughter and cooperative cat helps, but STILL!