Monday, June 30, 2008

Update from Mac Store

Okay... A lot has happened since arriving, with the main event being that my wallet was stolen from the public library while I wrote my last post.

BE-YOND crummy. So upsetting, so mean, so violating... 

I was not planning on spending my first full day in the US frantically searching the library and then canceling all my credit/debit cards... I still have the joy of obtaining a replacement driver's license ahead of me...

Still no working computer at my mom's house, trying to get hers fixed... 

So no blogging. Yet. I  did, however, manage to get a pair of "real" running shoes and I took my first 4 mile run here yesterday. Let's just say I was not prepared for hills... The treadmill is SO different from actual terrain... I forgot my ipod in Moscow and it's so hard to run without music!

I'm at the Mac Store right now, salivating over the MacBook and the MacBook Pro models, waiting to find out how much Chris's professional discount would be on each model...

In the meantime, here's a quick hello from Connecticut. Both girls were thrilled to head to camp today :-)  

I hope things will turn around now; our voyage here was pretty bad... I developed a stomach flu the night before we left and vomited all night while trying to finish packing... Then Katya caught it, throwing up before our cab came--and getting a big bloody nose once I'd already cleaned up the first mess. Tried to reschedule our flights for the next day, but couldn't--and we headed out an hour late to the airport. Talia then got sick on the plane, with the two of us simultaneously ill in adjoining bathrooms. 

I was so glad to finally make it to CT.

12 comments:

Rachael said...

Oh my. You have the worst luck with traveling. If I was you, I'd probably never go anywhere!

Crummy about the wallet. I hope you didn't have your passport in there. What a huge inconvienence to replace all of that while traveling. Ugh. Sorry.

Maybe you should get a little Ipod Shuffle (I think they're only about $50) to use while you're in the US. Then you could give it to the girls when you get back. You're going to be here awhile, it'll be hard to run all that time without it! And yes, running outside has a different feel than running on the treadmill, but I so much prefer it. I'm betting once you've gone a couple of times, you will too.

ourboysourlives said...

Wow that really is bad luck...you can get a little MP3 player while you are here and at least have some music...I wish you weren't so far CT is too far for me to travel right now to actually meet you...

Anonymous said...

i hate to hear that you have had such a rough start...it'll all be better when we all get to relax in colorado....; )

miss you!
jeannie

Tami said...

Oh honey! What a yucky start to your vacation!! I second the MP3 player. Relatively cheap and if your vacation luck gets any worse and it gets run over by a truck or one of the girls erp all over it, you can easily replace it. ;P ((hugs))

Katya said...

Ugh. That sounds awful.

I got a Macbook this winter and I LOVE it!

MamaPoRuski said...

Wow, had to come all the way to America to get your wallet stolen! So sorry :( Happy Vacation anyway!

Anonymous said...

Wow!
from your start here, Moscow sure seems more friendly place than Connecticut. At least your wallet did not get stolen there.
Hold on. Things are going to get better (at the very least because it is hard to get any worse)
Olga

Tina in CT said...

Olga,

Her wallet was not stolen but about a year and a half ago but a cab driver took her passport and the girls'. It was right before they were coming here in Dec. It was a NIGHTMARE getting replacements at the last minute and horrible. Going for a new driver's license is mild compared to what she and Chris went through in Moscow with all the red tape.

It is sad, though, to think that someone in our cute little town took her wallet from the library desk.

Tina

Anonymous said...

Tina,
it is really terrible.
You need to make Tamara a little cute pouch which she can wear around her neck, never taking it off, at least this way she can only loose one item at a time. I saw people wearing plastic ones in the airports, but they do look ugly and uncomfortable. I am sure you can come up with really nice and pleasant design.
Olga

Tina in CT said...

When I went over to Moscow to visit them, I bought an around-the-neck pouch from LL Bean that held my passport and I kept money in it too.

To add to all of it, my son-in-law had his wallet stolen by a pick pocket in May so they had to cancel all of their cards then.

Kelly said...

Hi, Tamara! Greetings from your friends in Chesapeake! Welcome back to the states! Sorry it started off with sickness and theft! It's been a long time, but I thought to check out your blog as Kathryn's best friend moved to Germany this week with the Navy and her mom just started a blog. Maybe I'll have to give it a try - and then get my mom on a computer! Love to all!

Annie said...

You poor soul! I hope we get news of something nice soon. So far, your post makes me glad to be me, even though I'm mostly cleaning the bathroom, doing laundry and sorting clothes winter/summer/right size for whom?

It is all SO MUCH better than vomiting or having a stolen wallet. (To say nothing about limited computer access!)