Sunday, June 1, 2008

Wildflowers


This is how you "pick wildflowers" in Moscow: you buy them bundled in leaves and string from babushki (old women) who peddle them near subway stations and pedestrian underground street crossings. However you get your hands on them, they're just as beautiful.

These are the kinds of flowers I bought during the summer of 1999 when we were living in Moscow in my attempts to make our STY of an apartment feel homey. I remember that summer so clearly... And these flowers really made me smile today. I looked at flowers like these while making the sampler I gave you, Mom, with the lavendar wrapped around the letters of the alphabet.

5 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Beautiful flowers - beautiful girls!

I remember your telling me about that apt. and it sounded just horrible!

I think of you each time I am in the upstairs bathroom where your lavender alphabet sampler is. I love it!

Annie said...

YES, YES, YES! I remember purchasing one of these....or rather letting Ilya purchase one for me, as he wanted to do. Flowers for his new mama. What a lovely time we had.

Annie said...

Thank you so much. I'm proud of myself, but my parents more proud of me, I think.

Your daughters look awesome. I enjoy reading your blog.

BoufMom9 said...

I just discovered your blog through a friend and I am fascinated!
I will have to take some time this week to read through it all...
Beautiful girls and beautiful flowers!

garnet said...

What beautiful flowers. In early spring we used to get some wildflowers sold in bunches in town in Romania and I loved it. Don't recall them having the wonderful leaf wrapping, however.