Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Didn't Exactly Plan to Be Blogging this Morning


Aren't these deer beautiful? 

I figured all along that this morning I'd spot many animals in the forest... I planned on filling up my camera's memory card throughout the day.

I intended to then download the photographs TONIGHT.

Instead, I'm here. 


Not in the mountains, but back at our hotel, looking up at them. Granted, the view is GORGEOUS, but I'd rather be hiking up there than blogging...

Those pictures of the deer? Taken as I drove back to the hotel this morning with Katya, leaving my dad and Natalia to enjoy the trek with a Park Ranger.

We had a such a fun day planned and were "up and at 'em" nice and early. Trek at 10 a.m., some downtime for lunch, then more afternoon activities in the park...

Then reality--or your seven-year-old--sinks in.

Even though Katya had the energy to go swimming in the hotel pool this a.m. before breakfast, she crashed afterwards. We got her into the car and up to the ranger station, but then the moaning began. The threats of imminent vomit. Then the familiar whining and moaning started up again.

I'd had it. 

I didn't want her  spoiling the morning for my dad and Natalia, so I brought her back to the hotel. She's been in bed for an hour, but hardly sleeping... I know she's tired because she woke up for the day (and, therefore, so did I...) at 4 a.m. We could check out within the next half hour and not have to pay for tonight, but I think she'll be fine for this afternoon's activities and we'll stay through tomorrow as originally planned.

We had a L-O-N-G talk about what it means to cry wolf... It's hard as a parent when you have no idea if your kid is actually sick or full of it... I've erred before, forcing her to do things when she's actually ill... Better to have let her rest, I guess.

Here's hoping that the rest of the day will be much more enjoyable... 

Anyone else ever feel that you need a vacation from your vacation? Yeah... That's why I'm doing the Half Marathon in Chicago... Those few days on my own, grueling as the race will be, will really recharge me... 

7 comments:

Natalie said...

I cried wolf to stay home from school once, my mom knew I wasnt sick, she let me go home anyways, when I wanted to go to our choir concert that night...I felt better of coarse, she said no way. Takes at least 24 hours until im not contageous anymore.. so I did nt get to do anything for 24 hours.

Tina in CT said...

If she's not really sick, I hope she doesn't pull that crap again as she ruined your vacation day. As you know, she's high on the drama. Hopefully you all will be able to spend a full day in the Park tomorrow as planned before heading back to the "ranch".

The deer are so precious.

Yes, you NEED the break or a vacation without kids for you and Chris. Going on vacation with kids is not a true vacation as you still have all the parenting responsibilities. I always looked forward parent only vacations.

Annie said...

Yes I do need a vacation from my vacation. Usually.

My idea of a real vacation [rest; satisfying release] would be to be alone in the house cleaning it. Without interruption.

)

Kelly said...

I'm enjoying following your travels on-line! I guess all kids are the same in some respects - I can so relate to the changing moods on a dime! Will you be in the states until your half-marathon? Just curious. Have fun tomorrow!

Cindy Niles said...

I started reading your blog because of the Russian fabric I lust for, but I must say you take the loveliest photos and write such funny stories! I'm enjoying your travels. My own children are adults now, but your blog takes me down memory lane.

Tami said...

Isn't this parenting guilt trip stuff just the worst?! I've been guilty of making the kids go to school when they've complained of having a stomach ache, because I truly believed they were faking it. The last time, Nick's teacher called me an hour later to come pick him up because he had urped in the hallway. Sigh. Yet another one of my nominations for 'Worst Mother of the Year." ;>)

garnet said...

You have my greatest sympathy. Thankfully my daughter hasn't really gone down the "I'm sick" road but she can certainly make everyone miserable anyway.