Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Splish Splash


Yesterday we took the girls to a great outdoor water park; not too far from the town where my in-laws live. It's not a park for hard-core slide enthusiasts; it's more suited to families with smaller kids. Denver and the surrounding towns are such a wonderful place for children! 

Just check out the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in the background. Dorothy's line in The Wizard of Oz often comes to mind when we're here or the beautiful small towns of New England... "I have a feeling, Toto, that we're not in Kansas anymore..." In my mind, I'm obviously substituting "Moscow" for "Kansas"!


Katya LOVES waterslides and she immediately went down the pink one with my dad.


I then got a turn, too. I think I love the slides even more than she does... I adore almost any kind of ride... I'll be more eager to "hit" Disneyland that they will be next spring! (We've never taken the kids and Chris has never been at all. He has a meeting in Florida in March and we'll go along with him). 


Natalia was so proud of Katya when she went down solo. Although she's such an athlete... and such a little daredevil in other ways... when it comes to waterslides, Natalia's a WIMP. She won't go anywhere near them; she wouldn't even do the blue tube "baby" slides in the children's section of the park. Instead, she was very happy to cheer for her sister.


Here comes Katya...


All in all, a great day. We started it off by hitting the Colorado Mills Factory Outlets to get the things we needed before our mini trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. Kids' sneakers? Score! Better running shoes for me? Score a pair of Asics with gel insoles! (My Nikes aren't supporting my arches enough and I realized I needed a different shoe after running ten miles--!!!!!!!--on Thursday). Goggles for the girls? Double score.

I'm also quite pleased with my swimsuit that actually fits... Only Tyr lap suits fit me, and this one was on final markdown! 

A benefit of living in Moscow is that the thrill is even greater when you get something truly on sale in America... The price just seems soooo low that you secretly gloat.

We also picked up some books for the kids to read while on our little trip. I'm so happy that Katya made the move to "small" print books! Up until now, she was too intimidated to pick thick books so densely packed with text... But she begged me for a three-pack with The Little Princess, The Secret Garden and Anne of Green Gables. Yay!

Mexican food at our favorite local "Mom and Pop" restaurant was the perfect ending.

More soon from the Rockies...

4 comments:

Tina in CT said...

That water park is fabulous. I thought there was just the indoor rec center water area. Golden sure has a lot to offer. I could be very happy living there in retirement.

You did well at the outlets.

Congrats on your ten mile mark!

Have fun at the National Park.

Tina in CT said...

That water park is fabulous. I thought there was just the indoor rec center water area. Golden sure has a lot to offer. I could be very happy living there in retirement.

You did well at the outlets.

Congrats on your ten mile mark!

Have fun at the National Park.

garnet said...

Oh, I love water parks. There are actually two here in Nairobi, not amazing super things, but certainly decent enough for fun and they have slides the kids can enjoy. Sadly, it really isn't warm enough most of the year to properly enjoy them. And everyone thinks we must be dying of heat in Africa.

Good choice on the books, Katya. Three of my top favorites. We're about to read "The Little Princess" this year. Though I must confess that I actually prefer L.M. Montgomery's three-book Emily series to her Anne one, though I do love the Anne ones too. My daughter's middle names are actually Emily Anne -- after grandparents rather than the book characters, but I loved the double significance.

Anonymous said...

I love Disney! If you can manage somehow to stay in the park, in one of the Disney hotels ( some are not too bad pricewise) - you can get a lot of real nice advantages. Katya organized us last Christmas in a such a way that we would come to the parks one hour before it opened to the public and bigger kids could get tickets for most popular rides, and the wimps (I am the biggest of them) could attend the most popular shows for wimps and little kids. And so on. And you can hop from park to park, or go to different (the fanciest hotels)for afternoon tea and a swim. And transportation in the parks is fun.
Olga