Sunday, July 27, 2008

That Moscow Bond...


Those of you who have read my blog for a while now have probably seen the comments left by Jeannie, my friend who was a new expat in Moscow at the same time we were. They're settled now in their new state, but they both sure do miss Russia. The three years that our families shared were incredibly intense, to say the least! Friendships made under such circumstances grow much deeper in a shorter time than those in everyday American life... We were quite sad when they moved back to the USA last March and we miss them a lot.


They planned their summer vacation to include a stop in Colorado so that we could all get together again. Emery, Katya and Natalia picked right up where they had left off! Oh, how they miss each other!


The highlight of the reunion today was that we got to meet Rachel, the newest member of the family! (Jeannie was in her third trimester when we had last seen her). What a cutie she is, with both her mommy and daddy wrapped around her plump little fingers...


They've been traveling through America with Jeannie's parents in RV vehicles. I'd never been inside one before; it was cool! Our girls loved Emery's hiding place in the loft over the front seats.


We joined them near Estes Park, where my dad, the girls and I spent three great days last week. Tomorrow they'll drive closer to where my in-laws live and we'll get spend a few more days together. The girls and I were happy to return to Estes Park... After a delicious meal at our favorite Mexican restaurant there (Ed's Cantina--go there!!!!), we took the girls to the campground's pool. There were other kids swimming, too. I overhead Katya explaining to one girl that we're expatriates--but not the kind that couldn't have tea with loyalists. Funny!


Stuck inside while it briefly rained, all three girls discovered that the grandparents' RV had satellite television... including the Disney Channel... 


Lo and behold, they caught a rerun of the Miley Cyrus concert from last night, minus the 3-D special-effects. That, however, didn't stop Natalia from sharing a pair of glasses with Emery!

7 comments:

Tina in CT said...

I'm sure you all had a great time together and the girls must have been so excited to see each other since it's been over a year. Enjoy the rest of your time with them.

Natalie said...

Now that is the kind of camping we do best. In a big motorhome with all the same comodoties you get at home just a little smaller and no going to work every day.

ourboysourlives said...

how wonderful to have that connection and then a visit...Tamara...I don't think I have ever seen a photo of you you are a beautiful lady...thanks for sharing your story with us.

Tina in CT said...

What happened to the blog entry about the horseback riding last Friday?

Annie said...

I just realized that was all one post!

How nice to get together with your friend. Tell Jeannie I want her to blog! I've noticed her posts on yours and tried to "find her" to no avail!

garnet said...

Isn't it fun to get together with old friends! I got the chance this summer to see my college roommate whom I hadn't seen in eleven years -- and to meet her new little boy.

And I've *always* wanted to get up in those little lofts in an RV. I have a dream of spending a summer or year traveling around the U.S. in an RV.

Anonymous said...

heehee, i am so happy to already have 6 comments : ) to all tamara's loyal readers, i practically forced her to blog about me more : ) i have seriously been thinking about doing a blog myself (annie), but i am not sure that i have too much interesting to say...we'll see. honestly, this "rv thing" is awesome. we call it our "traveling dacha", and yes it makes life on the road much more pleasant. we are having a great time traveling the u.s. and it is even better to get to see friends along the way : ) for those who have never been to co - it is beautiful! except that i am getting stiff and sore from all the hiking...
jeannie