Friday, August 1, 2008

No More Missed Blogging Fodder...

Behold! As in, look what I'm holding... In my little hand...


No more lugging around my wonderful, but huge, Nikon SLR camera... Afraid of damaging it by carrying it everywhere... And yet, not carrying it enough--there always seemed to be something I wished I could take a picture of, but no camera...!

This week I wish I could have taken pictures of: the girls getting ice cream from the ice cream truck (they'd never seen one before!); the Colorado sky in brilliant colors; a road sign reminding all drivers that in case of an accident, it's the law to move the vehicles to the side of the road (the opposite is true--and maddeningly dangerous--in Russia); the town pool/water park complex designed to look like an old gold mine...

The men at the professional camera shop recommended biting the bullet and getting a good, small point-and-shoot; it would cost much, much more to repair my Nikon once it would eventually be damaged by being moved around so much.


I plan to keep this little Canon PowerShot SD1100IS in a small, hard case inside my purse... Always ready for that special moment! So far, I'm quite impressed by this miniature camera... It takes 8 megapixel pictures and has a 3x optical image-stabilized zoom. It's very fast, too. It only weighs 4.5 ounces!

This is the first picture I've taken with the camera. Here's Beatrice!

19 comments:

Rachael said...

Hey -- you have the same camera I have! Except I have the SD750, since I bought mine last year. (Seems they get a newer fancier model every couple months!) I love mine too and I carry it around in my purse everywhere. Now I will have to make you a little camera case sized wristlet. I have to make another one for myself, since I lost mine. (just the case -- not the camera.)

Tina in CT said...

What a cute shot of Beatrice.

Is the tiny camera that you ordered before you went to CO?

I'm sure you'll get lots of great shots using it as the other one is too delicate and big to carry everywhere. It'll be handy to have one for your pocketbook.

Check email as I need to talk to you about tomorrow. Call me here at work.

Jenni said...

I've got a Nikon SLR too, and never seem to carry it around enough. I miss the little point and shoot camera I used to have (even thought the Nikon does take better photos - when I use it!).

Hopefully the Canon will help you capture many special moments in the future.

MamaPoRuski said...

Beatrice looks appropriately impressed with the new camera! She is beautiful BTW!
You will just have to do the ice cream truck scene again now that you have a camera...

kate said...

Big Canon fan here. I've got a fab Canon XTI...the most recent in a long line of excellent Canons.

Annie said...

I love carrying my little camera in my purse. Not that I always have it when needed, of course, but it works pretty well!

Fioleta said...

My husband just bought me a digital SLR camera and I love the photos it takes, but often don't end up taking it with me on outings due to it's size. Maybe I should unearth my old "point-and-shoot" one to carry around with me.

Beatrice looks adorable.

Please can you pass my thank you to your mother for the kind comment she left on my blog few days ago. Reading it was a perfect start for my day. I wish I had some way to get in touch with her, to email my thanks.

Annie said...

I love your new camera. I'm not going almost anywhere without my camera. Its an amazing thing. Don't you think?

I like picture of the dog.
God bless.

Muddy said...

Left you a bloggy award as one of my favorite bloggy reads. Thanks !

Melissa Q. said...

Where are you? I can't seem to get any more posts.

love ya!

Meese

Christine said...

Yeah!!!!! ((clapping)) I will look forward to more pictures!

BTW, I can see why you are such a wonderful woman...... your mom is amazing!

Natalie said...

You must have lost that handy little camera, or you're not that excited to use it... (or you have nothing exciting going on and lots of work consuming your time, like myself)

monica @ transplanting me said...

i hate when i miss a shot because i forgot the camera or can't get to it fast enough. congrats on the new camera!!

i found your blog through expat women. we're in thailand and i'm looking forward to reading more about your adventures!

Annie said...

I'm sure we are all considering the irony of this being your last post....in forever. Speaking of "missed blogging fodder"!

Ems said...

Beatrice is so cute! I hope you had a great visit to CO and a safe return to Moscow.

Elle J said...

R U Ok? Missing your posts. Hope all is well.

Tami said...

Are you alright? Haven't heard anything in quite awhile. Miss you!

garnet said...

That is an amazing picture of Beatrice. I'm jealous of the small camera. I really need to get one I can keep in my purse all the time as well since the other is so bulky I only use it for major trips.

garnet said...

Oh yes, and we'd just pulled out from Dulles on our first trip back from Kenya -- an unexpected one for my brother's wedding -- and I saw one of those accident signs myself and wanted to snap a photo of it and bring it back here. We were nearly in an accident ourselves a few days ago when we barely missed a car that slammed on its brakes to avoid three vehicles parked in the middle of a very busy two-lane highway simply because one had "scratched" the back of another.