Saturday, September 6, 2008

Chicago is a No-Go...

Yeah, I'm not going to Chicago this week for the Half Marathon after all... Frankly, I'm relieved. Starting this new job has taken every bit of energy I have and I just couldn't have fit in the necessary training in the three weeks leading up to race day. I could have taken off the time to go without any problem, but I wouldn't have been physically ready...

The orthopedic surgeon here wanted me to stop running longer than 6 miles at a time until I could begin physical therapy, too. I'm not sure when I'll start that; when would I go? In the meantime, I'm able to run that amount without knee pain and I'll keep it up. 

I'm so, so glad I trained for the Half Marathon, though. I've only lost ten pounds, but I went down two sizes and I feel so much stronger and muscular. I will definitely keep it up. It feels great when people I haven't seen a while ask me what I've been doing because I look different!

I'll miss you, Rachael!!! We'll have to do it some other time!!! 

Hmm... Now I just need to figure out how to get to the USA before mid-November so I can bring back Katya's Ritalin (or I need to find someone who would be willing to bring it here for me--I need to see if the Russian policy regarding carrying that drug no longer considers it illegal unless you're the patient or guardian...). 

3 comments:

Annie said...

So are you not able to get it in Russia?

So sorry about your trip back....I know you were looking forward to it, but I certainly know how it feels to feel relieved at not having something nice to do. Sometimes the "nicest" thing is just to have enough time to do everything you need to do and feel peaceful!

Rachael said...

We'll do it sometime! Keep running as much as you can, OK?

garnet said...

So sorry to hear that this didn't work out. Though I didn't originally realize you'd be in Moscow when this took place and have to fly all the way back. That sounds absolutely exhausting.

Glad that even though this didn't work out, you got such a great result from the training. You're inspiring me to make more of an effort to get out and move. How thrilling it would be to drop two sizes.

Hope it will work out sometime in the future for ou.