Friday, September 26, 2008

Happy Birthday, Nana!

photo

I've never gotten my act together before to be organized enough for birthday posts; this will be the year!

Before I jump in the shower and dash off to school, I want to wish a bon, bon anniversaire and feliz, feliz cumpleaños (a happy, happy birthday) to the friend who is the reason I'm a teacher in the first place! 

P~~ was my teacher in in junior high and she teaches at the school that Katya thinks is more special and beautiful than Catherine the Great's palacial estate at Tsaritsyno. (Scroll down through Wednesday's entry to see how Katya said it and to see all the pictures of Tsaritsyno). One of the reasons that Katya thinks the school is so special is because it's the backdrop for all the fun and love she shares with P~~ (whom the girls call "Nana") whenever we're in the States.

P~~ is the kind of teacher you all probably remember as standing out from all your years of schooling, or have seen in memorable films and wished that you could have had... She's the kind of teacher that makes you jump up and down when you find out that your kids were lucky enough to get her for the year. 

Her passion for foreign languages and kids just flow from her... I remember soaking in every moment of class as if it were sunshine. Right then and there, I decided that that was what I was going to do with my life, too. And then she encouraged me all along the way!

She's been there as a friend through every milestone of my life since then and I'm so thankful that my kids love her just as much as I do. 

Have a wonderful, wonderful day, mon amie! Now I'm off to teach and do the same. THANK YOU.

photo

3 comments:

Annie said...

This is nne of the most beautiful posts I have ever read. At a time in my life when I am wondering if I will, or ever have, made any sort of difference to anyone in my profession, I know how profoundly moving it would be to ever have a student express sentiments like these! And, to be honest, to know that such a thing is possible is an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

That is such a nice post!
Not everybody had a teacher that influential, but it is so nice to hear that some people did.
But I am sure that all of us had teachers we remember all our lives.
I still remember with fondness my elementary school teacher. We were her first class out of the college and she taught us for 4 years of elementary school. And it was 50 years ago.
Olga

maddieness said...

You are so lucky to have had a teacher that inspiring :)

My Russian really needs work, and it would really help if any of my Russian lecturers were half as helpful. To this day, don't understand how the Russians can't teach us the using a mutual language that both the student and teacher understands...

It's frustrating! Learning Russian from scratch. In Russian. From a teacher who can't speak a word of English. ARGH!

Anyways, this might be a little late but I wish the best for your friend Nana. She sounds absolutely lovely.