Saturday, September 6, 2008

September 1st: Katya


Katya, Amina and I headed to the opening ceremony at Katya's school soon after Chris and Natalia had left to go to Natalia's new school. Katya had been counting down the days until the first day of school for weeks now; that's surely a sign of how much she loves her school! 

The children in Katya's school stay together as a group with their two homeroom teachers for four years; as a result, there was no anxiety at all as the big day approached. The kids all ran to greet each other after the long summer apart and the parents were happy to already know each other, too. We feel so lucky that both of Katya's teachers are true gems and that the children all get along so well!


Two of Katya's friends from her former kindergarten are in the first grade this year; they were so apprehensive and cute... They were the quintessential first graders, wearing their new book bags, carrying bright bouquets and sporting huge white bows in their hair.


I wasn't able to stay very long at the ceremony because I had to get to my own first day of school--but not to worry, I got to watch the highlights of it on the evening news! They were filmed and featured on the national news! September 1st is a national holiday here, "The Day of Knowledge," and all schools start on the date with much fanfare. It was quite fun to all plop onto pillows and the couch while we waited for the broadcast that night!


If you'd like to read more about the ceremony in general, you can read what I wrote last year after Katya's first day of school.

1 comment:

garnet said...

It's so fun reading about these different ceremonies. I love the big bows on the girls and think it is really cool that you got to watch the ceremony on TV.

I also think it is so nice that the kids get to keep the same teacher for years. I attended a small grade school with maybe 40 to 50 kids and unless the teacher changed, we had the same teacher and many of the same classmates for four years -- though it was a four-grade classroom and each year you lost and gained a grade. There were three students in my grade and funnily enough the older sister of one boy (who was my next "door" neighbor -- we lived on adjoining hills) is now my neighbor here in Kenya. Although we aren't next-door neighbors our homes are closer now than they were there. Such a small world.