Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Asleep at the Wheel...


Who ever said that being five-years-old isn't hard work? (I was going to say "in kindergarten," but then I realized that she's doing homework in a 1st grade US workbook... It can be confusing referring to Natalia's year in school since they start a year later in Russia -- yet cover more of some subjects/less of others... ) I'm making her do reading/writing homework five nights a week in various workbooks so her skills don't slip now that she's back in a Russian school. (For any new readers, she was in an English kindergarten last year and learned to read and write very well). 

I should add that she's now starting to read in Russian, too... She's picking it up quickly and seems to be enjoying it without much confusion. She also has French twice a week at her Russian school and loves those lessons; Katya is quite jealous. Now, hello, they LIVE with a French teacher (moi...)... But no, I'm just the mom... 


In any case, when she came home from school today, she was pretty eager to do homework...(Hmm... I wonder if that had anything to do with the fact that there is no television allowed unless homework/reading is done, all clothing laid out of the next day, room picked up, etc...

Her face paint was the result of yet another birthday party that afternoon. All kids have some kind of birthday celebration at school; this one had face painting, a clown, and cool glow-in-the-dark bracelet favors...


You bet she knew how cool she looked...

5 comments:

Tami said...

English, Russian AND French all by the age of six?! Wow! I'm impressed. I'm decent in English, passable after two years of Spanish, but I barely know two words in Russian and have a really HARD time figuring out your sign pop quizzes.

Anonymous said...

Poor child!
I bet she is dreaming up a solution to the problem in her book and when she will wake up she will know the right answer.

Olga

Tina in CT said...

I bet Natalia is loving the French lessons as she wanted to learn Spanish so much so assume French is a good replacement in her eyes. Hopefully she'll let you teach her too since you speak like a native. Maybe Katya will let you teach her so she can keep up with her little sister.

Maybe Natalia will be like you.

Poor little Natalia. Asleep while doing homework. Life is tough for almost six year olds. You never had homework at that age. Times have changed.

Anonymous said...

oh, so sweet : ) good thing you didn't move her, never wake sleeping children is my motto ; ) em is 6 and in first grade and never has homework bc the teacher gives them time at school to do it. she does have to read to us everynight, but that is it. she actually had homework in kg, but not 1st....; )

miss you!
jeannie

Carey and Norman said...

English schools in Russia. Very interesting. What is the population of Americans in Russia? I know that the EMT (when I was sick in Moscow) offered to take me to the American hospital. Also, we never paid a bill for their services...is this normal?

In case you weren't reading then, I caught the Vlad flu that was going around and was "in bed" at the Holiday Inn sick (I won't go into details) for two days while my mother played with our daughter in the hallways. Being that I was not going to miss our flight home, mom had the hotel call someone to help. Two shots and eight hours later, I was a new woman.