Thursday, October 2, 2008

Babushki & Berries


You'll usually find babushki (Russian grandmothers) peddling all sorts of wares at the entrances to underground street crossings and the subway...

At this time year they're selling various currants and the last flowers before winter sets in, along with mittens and slippers they've knit.


I've made "kompot" (simmered juice) with some of berries this week to boost my immune system; I've been home quite sick with the flu. I tried as hard as possible to take it easy so I could get back to work -- that's why I haven't blogged at all.

10 comments:

Rachael said...

Katya has some mittens we bought from a Babushka at one of the underground crossings!

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Katya said...

I hope you feel better soon!

Those berries look delicious... mmm... black currants...

Natalie said...

Those berries look so cool, I wonder what they taste like. What nice old ladies. It would be hard to say no to them.

Natalie said...

ps. hope you're feeling better soon.

Tina in CT said...

You know how I LOVE all kinds of berries. Bet they are good.

Living here in the burbs in southern NE, I don't see people selling on street corners but it sure is different when I go to the city.

Tami said...

Hope you're feeling better soon! Mmmm....those berries look good.

Tina in CT said...

How is the kitten? Have you heard anything?

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon.
What are the yellow ones? They look little bit like sort of wild plums
Olga

Carolynn and Steve said...

So sorry you're sick! Hope that the Babushka Berry Blast/kompote makes you feel better soon!

Annie said...

I hope you feel better!

My children all adore berries. The unfortunate thing is that they are so horribly expensive that I really can't buy them.