Monday, October 27, 2008

Beauty and the Beast




Yesterday we all went to see "Beauty and the Beast" with Katya's class. It's the "real" Broadway production -- translated into Russian. I was wary of seeing it in translation, but the language geek in me lapped up every brilliantly chosen Russian play-on-words, rhyme and image. I know all the songs by heart in English, so I found myself analyzing the translation throughout the production -- and loving every minute of it. 

I tried to find copies of the songs in Russian, but they're not easily located... The only example I can readily recall is that "Be Our Guest" became "Вы Наш Гост," wonderfully preserving the mono-syllabic stress necessary for Lumiere's cabaret number. 

I highly recommend the production to anyone, even families in Moscow who don't speak Russian. Provided that you've seen the Disney movie, you'll have no trouble following along. The scenery, costumes, singing and acting are phenomenal!

Our kids even got a backstage tour, thanks to connections through one of the moms... I told Natalia, thinking she'd be quite excited.... She was, until she realized that joining the cast on stage wasn't exactly part of their special treatment...! Reminds me of when Katya thought that we were taking her to the Bolshoi Theater (for her 4th birthday... Keep in mind how cheaply you can sometimes find tickets...) so that she could PERFORM -- and she insisted on continuing her stretching and exercises in the buffet area during intermission...

Here are some pictures from the official website:


7 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Whatever you had in the first box for a picture didn't come through but all the ones of the cast did. I loved that play and it is great for all ages. I am sure Natalia wanted to perform and can just see her when she found out that she couldn't.

Carey and Norman said...

What a wonderful production. We did try to get tickets to a show while we were in Moscow. We were afraid to buy them in advance since we weren't sure our daughter's capability to sit through a production. I can imagine how interesting it must be to listen to it in Russian knowing the English version.

Francie said...

That is so sweet! I got goose-bumps just listening to that song and have had that song stuck in my head all day at work! I love that movie so much! One of my favorites!

Rachael said...

That is Katya's favorite Disney movie. She cries every time! Oh, how I wish I could take her to see the play in Russian!

Anonymous said...

Interesting that they choose to copy Disney version instead of the old and very beautiful Russian re-telling of the story.
Do they still have the TYZ (teater yunogo zritelya) in Moscow?
Olga

Anonymous said...

Just noticed, listening to the song for the third time (big sucker for the movie) - they did not even use Russian name of the story, which is very sweet - Alenkiy zvetocheck.
Olga

Annie said...

That is my one of the favorite disney movies. That is so cool.