Friday, October 24, 2008

Ханна Монтана!

Before class started today, my ninth grade girls were eagerly talking about something they had just discovered, something that has just appeared in Russia...

Ханна Монтана!

See for yourselves...



Here's the theme song sung in Russian... I like Miley's voice much better, but it's fun to hear the words in Russian. My guess is that they'll keep many of her songs in English, though.



The girls kept chattering on and on about her. One of them asked me if I'd ever heard of her... Um, is the sky blue? Anyone who knows Natalia and Katya is surely laughing at THAT question...

I just smiled, reached into my book bag, and pulled out the folder I've been using to protect originals for photocopying. Not just any folder, but this folder:

Design International Group Hannah Montana Folder Assorted

They were VERY surprised. I'm now either super cool or the ultimate dork in their eyes! I did explain that the folder was my daughters' and that I was just borrowing it...

5 comments:

Carolynn and Steve said...

Isn't it amazing how some things transcend cultures and are "cool" no matter where you are? I'd love to do some kind of study on what American cultural things make it in Russia and what don't...along with how they get changed in the process. Your story reminds me of when I was teaching High School several years ago and one of my students came in and wanted me to hear a "new" song he had discovered. It was Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. It was not "new" when I was in high school. The more things change....

Annie said...

How funny. I guess you are just an enigma. I bet they don't know what to think!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Tamara!
Hannah Montana is cool, no doubt (I for one loved watching the show, but then again Gilmore Girls are more up my personal alley :)). My comment, however, is going to be in connection with a non-fictional character ;). The thing is that a couple of days ago I sent you an email regarding Nana's request for your help . Haven't heard back from you, so I wonder if you've had a chance to read it yet. Let me know, ok? This is kind of pressing. Tried calling your cellphone and landline, but had no luck reaching you. So, I figured, since you've been updating this website pretty regularly, I may have more luck getting through to you this way ;).

Thanks!

Zhenia

Anonymous said...

toooo funny!!! i was wondering how she would go over in russia - esp moscow. we love her, of course, even jerry!!! jerry and em were watching the show just last night and jerry was laughing so hard he was almost crying : ) what about the jo bro's?

miss you!
jeannie

Tina in CT said...

Wow, you're a "with it" teacher. Did you tell them how into it your girls are? That's funny that it took this long for her to get to Moscow.