Tuesday, October 21, 2008

From Pioneer Camp to Pastries...

Enjoying "Cento Percento," a pastry with mango, raspberry and passion fruit mousse.

Katya had yet another wonderful time with her school at camp last week. They spent three days at the site of a former Soviet Youth (Pioneer) camp doing all kinds of outdoor and educational activities. 

It has become a tradition that after I meet her at the bus, we go to Coffeemania for chicken noodle soup, apple lemonade and dessert. Well, that's what she has... I personally love their crab cakes with wild rice and spinach. It goes without saying that a cup of coffee is also involved...

During our late lunch she tells me about her trip. The highlight this year was being the 3rd fastest runner in her class -- a really big deal for her. I'm glad she's enjoying sports more. I was excited to see what books she had packed for the trip: Island of the Blue Dolphins and Bridge to Terabithia. To think that a year ago she had yet to read even a page of a Magic Tree House book!

I had to leave work a little early to meet her bus on time; I explained to my class why I was only going to be there for half of the lesson. As soon as they heard why, they all longingly remembered when they had had such fun at the same camp on school trips...

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Glad she had a nice time a camp. What a great experience for her.

Dessert looks delicious. The bakeries there are quite a feast for the eyes.

Tina in CT said...

Katya should feel very proud of her reading achievement as she has progressed so well and also for her speedy feet.

That fancy pastry looks very yummy. I remember going for pastry after the puppet show and drooling at the display case.

Ask her to call me this weekend and tell me more about Pioneer Camp. I had many, many years of going to overnight camp growing up.