Thursday, October 16, 2008

More Russian Practice for Beginners: Where Are You Going?


This sign is a good mix of "easy" with a little challenge thrown in there. The second and fourth words are in the genetive case (to mean "of" in modifying the first word of the sign), which means that their final letters have been changed from the feminine nominative case endings of "-А"  "-ИЯ." This clue should be helpful; if you switch the endings to the nominative, then the words become English (and Romance 
Language: French, Spanish, Italian) cognates. 

So... What's this destination? Let me know if you true beginners try it and figure it out! If response is good, I'll keep offering these little language exercises.

Answer at the bottom...








..."Theater of Music and Poetry"

4 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

I got theatre and music. I missed Poetry. I was thinking pizza. I'm loving this game. It is amazing how many of the Russian letters are similar to ours. I also know many of them as of our daughter's name (the R, A, and I sounds). Too fun!!

Tami said...

Well, I got theatre right. I love this game too...even if I'm not that good at it. ;>)

Rachael said...

I got it!

And, I love reading the signs, so keep the posts up!

Anonymous said...

I know it is unfair for me to participate - I was born there -but I love this game too. I take different take on it, I guess.
In my reading of the sign, the question is, what in the world do they mean? Are they reading poetry with musical accompaniment? Is it a Broadway type of the show?
Do you know what is this theater all about?
Olga