Friday, October 17, 2008

My Cup (or Bottle) Runneth Over...

So... I wrote on Wednesday about how an unexpected can of ginger ale had been worthy of a blog entry entitled "Happiness"...

I was sincerely happy, delightfully thankful to share that can with Natalia... A can of my favorite American drink that you can't get here...

And then today while at Azbuka Vkusa, a rather expensive upscale grocery store, I saw this:



I was so excited! That one little bottle (less volume than in a typical American can) cost 68 rubles/$2.57, but I splurged on just one, knowing I could put it away for a day when I'm down...

I then continued on with my grocery shopping (since it always entails visiting three different shops), ending up at Ramstore, the discount Turkish supermarket. As I was finishing up, loading up my cart with 5 liter bottles of drinkable water, I just about fell over when I spotted this...


Yup, that's RIGHT, people!!!! I saw THIS:


!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT???? A 1.5 liter bottle for only 45 rubles/$1.70!!!!! 

I had been happy the other day to drink just half of a can... Then happy to get one little bottle... And then I discovered I can get it inexpensively whenever I want!!!!!

Now that I know I can get it here, I probably won't crave it... Simply knowing I can have it is really nice. (I don't usually drink soft drinks with sugar; but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth and complain that the ginger ale here isn't diet...)

7 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Go wild and drink up!

Anonymous said...

yeah! i am so glad that this drink finally made it to russia ; ) and yes, i do remember how we craved it getting on the delta flight, but no, i haven't bought it since returning to the u.s. : ) i will and drink to you ; )

miss you!
jeannie

Annie said...

I have to say that the first bottle is rather lovely. That's the one I'd save for a rainy day.

ourboysourlives said...

it is amazing how one day we are complaining about what we don't have and the next we are overfilled with something we crave...Yeah T

Fioleta said...

Maybe if you post about all the things you can't find in Moscow, they will magically appear? :-)

Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Like I said on the other post, those are precisely the 1.5L bottles of ginger ale that were ubiquitous in kiosks and restaurants in the 90s in Moscow (I lived there 92 - 98). Maybe after the 98 ruble collapse Schweppes disappeared for awhile? But I thought they had a domestic Russian bottler . . .

Katya said...

I feel the same way whenever I can find Shwepps Bitter Lemon... I can almost never find it in the US... (Hillers had it, of course)