Friday, October 10, 2008

Newest Verb in the Russian Language



I've always turned heads here with my travel mug...

I've toted it around for the past five years, raising many an eyebrow.

"What is that?" many people asked, still thinking I'm odd after hearing me explain it's my coffee...

Now that Starbucks has opened in the city, more people have seen the travel mugs for sale and they know I'm not the only one who uses them -- but they associate the mugs with Starbucks, not necessarily realizing that I brew my own coffee at home most days.

My morning coffee has evidently been a topic for discussion in the halls... I guess some of my tired students have been enviously eyeing my mug, wishing they had some more coffee, too. 

So... in the end, not only have I introduced the concept of the travel mug... but I have also inspired a new Russian verb. The Head of the Upper School proclaimed last night that I have "starbucksized" our students!

For you Russophiles who want to add this verb to your vocabulary, it's "старбаксовать." As in, "Вы старбаксовали наших детей!" Hmm. Conjugate that... Quite a tasty grammatical exercise!

6 comments:

Christine said...

How cool! Back in 2005 we gave travel coffee mugs as gifts to our driver and facilitator. I bet they scratched their head back then.

Rachael said...

Too funny!

I'm a big morning coffee drinker and I remember the first time I tried in my rudimentary Russian to ask for coffee to go at a cafe and was looked at so strangely! I figured I'd said it wrong, but after a few days, I figured out that wasn't the problem. The problem was that people don't take coffee to go in Russia!

Annie said...

How cute!

Anonymous said...

Hm,
the words bear different meanings to me in English and Russian. In English it means to me mostly a size - we over sized our children coffee habits. In Russian it means to me - you engaged or subscribed our children to the gods of Starbucks
Olga

MoscowMom said...

Olga-- I think that they *meant* to use the verb the way you interpreted it... That I'm brainwashing the kids in the American ways of mugs and morning coffee... But they meant it in a humorous way, since I'm not, really...

Anonymous said...

I see,
Olga