Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Quick Reflexes... And Quick to (Mis)Judge...

Driving home from work/school the other day, the girls and I had quite a scare. The road near our home was very, very dark and all of the sudden a woman almost fell in front of our car -- with two men tackling her. 

I was able to stop in time and I started HONKING my horn at full blast to get attention from anyone nearby (which I did). I rolled down my window enough to shout, "Woman being attacked! Get off her! HELP!" for anyone who could hear.

It turns out that the woman had tried to throw herself in front of our car, looking to kill herself... Those two men saved her life. 

Earlier in the day, my students and I had been discussing how Muscovites won't involve themselves when someone needs help in public for fear of then being dragged into the bureaucracy of documentation with the police. 

I've seen people literally dying in the street after being attacked, but no one will stop to help for that very reason. I once had to physically block the entrance to an adjacent restaurant, refusing to leave and stop shouting for help until they called an ambulance and the police (I didn't have my mobile phone on me). 

This time others DID get involved, saving her life, and also protecting me and my children from a potential crash. I, on the other hand, was relieved to be able to be the "Muscovite," continuing on my way without having to get more involved. My girls just didn't need to see any more than they already had.

Just another day in Moscow...

3 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Give me my little town in Southern New England any day.

Tami said...

Goodness girl! How scary! I'm glad those men did something to help...and that you all are safe.

Annie said...

Now, see.....and you try to tell us Moscow is not all it's cracked up to be! I never have such interesting things happen in Lansing.