Saturday, October 4, 2008

Update on Natalia's New School


It hasn't been easy for Natalia to switch from being in a tiny, nurturing British kindergarten where she was such close friends with the other seven kids in her class... I've lost much sleep as I worried about this transition back to a Russian kindergarten, about our plan to have her join Katya and me at our school next fall in the first grade...

But this just isn't the self portrait of child who isn't thriving, who isn't growing in confidence... This is a girl who is adapting well, who is learning... Sure, there are still bumps here and there... And yes, she misses the friends from her old school... It's not so easy to just make close friends all over again, and it hurts her that the good friends she used to have at this Russian kindergarten all moved away over the summer, so she's the last one left... 

But she is adapting. She loves the arts, and the arts are stressed emphatically at both this school and Katya's. The dance class they have after school two days a week is FANTASTIC; you won't believe your eyes when I post videos from their school plays/dance numbers later in the year. (They even won first place in an international children's dance festival last year). 

According to Natalia's artwork, even her cat is quite happy these autumn days!


Natalia loves the trees on the playground... Here she is climbing them, pink Barbie cowgirl boots and all. 


7 comments:

Fioleta said...

Natalia's artwork is beautiful. I love how well she combined all the different colours.

Rachael said...

Wow, she is quite the little artist!

Tina in CT said...

Her mother's genes...

Annie said...

I agree; that artwork is breath-taking. I adore the cat! It somehow seems to me that Russians know how to teach art to childen. Even the pieces done in Ilya's really "rough" orphanage seemed to me to be so much more striking than the things I see from children in this country.

Elle J said...

Fantastic artwork!!! How exciting!

Katya said...

Is your school an International Baccalaureate school? Our school did the EXACT same project using the same media. They hung all the princess cats and puppies up in the hall and the results were spectacular..

Tina in CT said...

Natalia,

I love your artwork and wish I could see it in person.

Grandma Streusel