Sunday, November 9, 2008

Been Busy with the Fairies

Okay... So, I never intended to take an eleven-day  break from blogging... The first few days I was just burnt out from a hard schedule that seemed to go 24/7... Then I had no internet. 

I was off this week and it was "vacation." I put that word in quotation marks because it's supposed to mean "relaxation" -- and the past two weekends and week haven been anything but...

I'll catch up on posts I couldn't do later this week, so you'll get a chance to see trick-or-treating Moscow-style and some other fun stuff we did. For the most part, however, we were stuck at home because Natalia is quite sick with bronchitis. 

Katya hasn't been 100%, either... But she did  get together quite a bit with good friends for playdates, a sleepover, and two trips to the theater . (They saw "Helen Keller" and it was AMAZING). 

When I haven't been busy cleaning, cooking, doing laundry, and spending every possible moment with my kids, I've been busy trying to finish the murals I had planned for the girls' room when I had the Madeline murals painted over this summer. 

It has been VERY time-consuming, much more so than I had envisioned... The Madeline murals had been so easy because Bemelman's style is so primitive. These new murals are much more realistic and complicated... 

The new theme of their room is "fairies" and I wanted to create a sunny, happy place whe
re they would want to be during the L-O-N-G, DARK winter here. 

I've only completed one wall out of three, but it's going well! See for yourselves!


This is how each wall starts out: I do faint pencil sketches and then fill them in. 


Here are some close-ups of the mural I've completed. Once I finish the other two walls, I'll probably redo the fairies' faces. I couldn't get a fine enough paint brush to do them the way I had envisioned. The store I used to buy all my art supplies from -- 4th floor at the central Dyetsky Mir -- closed for renovations and I haven't had the time to search for another shop. (It's not that easy to find what you need here; you can't just open the yellow pages and look up "Michaels" for craft supplies). 



Alas, now I have internet... But I also have to get up before dawn in the morning to get to work... (And I'll probably be up often throughout the night to care for Natalia...) So that's all for now. 

14 comments:

Tami said...

WOW! I. AM. IMPRESSED!!!!

Carolynn and Steve said...

Oh, Tamara, these are awesome! How creative you are--especially when the materials aren't easy to find. If it was that easy to do, I'd just stick some brushes in the mail for you--I need to go through a bunch of my craft stuff in the garage, anyway. You have inspired me to get stuff done in our nursery--thanks for sharing, and good luck with getting all there well.

Tina in CT said...

There are fantastic! I can't wait to see all the pictures. The girls must love the mural. The curtains look perfect.

Rachael said...

Um...WOW!

It looks amazing!!! And, I was so sad that you painted over the Madeline, but now I guess I'm okay with it. ;>

Ben got a new bed this past week, and I'm toying with changing his room to a knight's castle theme (involving a mural.) Wanna come visit?!

Also, if I were you, I'd call it good with one wall and do solid on the others. But...I know you won't. :)

Hope everyone's feeling better soon. I've missed your blogs. Know what you mean about being too tired/overworked to blog, though. Whenever I can squeeze a minute, I just don't feel like it lately.

Anonymous said...

Great murals! The fairy faces look good to me, very gentle and cute.
Olga

Tina in CT said...

The fairies are beautiful but I miss Madeline. It's probably because they are growing and I don't want them to. I miss too much of their childhood.

Katya said...

Wow. Those look great... wanna come paint my studio?

Carey and Norman said...

Very impressive wall murals. You did a wonderful job.

Annie said...

These are the dearest things on earth! HOW I wish I had time for this sort of thing! I hope your girls appreciate you!!!

Annie said...

Tina - you crack me up - I don't think of fairies as all that MATURE!

Tina in CT said...

I meant that the girls declared they were too old for Madeline. She went the way of smocked dresses and I still have not gotten over the fact that they won't wear smocked dresses. I love little girls in smocked dresses. Guess I'll just have to have my smocked memories.

Annie said...

Lydia and I still laugh (well, I laugh more than she does) about the fact that she wore smocked dresses through fourth grade. And I never let her have a pair of jeans until then. It was rather mean, I guess, but she was either in Montessori until then, and the kids were all pretty "artsy". Anastasia had her "style" figured out from day 1 - I never got to make a work of art out of her. :(

Elle J said...

I wouldn't change a thing ~ these looks fabulous. What a gift!

Annie said...

THOSE ARE AMAZING!!!