Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My Fairy Godmother


Sticking with this week's "fairy" theme, isn't this just the cutest little fairy in Moscow?! The girls and I gave her mom the costume at her baby shower last February... At the time, it seemed a bit odd to be giving a Halloween costume to a baby that hadn't even been born yet -- but time has flown, she sure has grown, and she's PRECIOUS!

I took this picture when we got together with some other families for a "Halloween Brunch" last Saturday at the Starlite Diner. (More about Halloween in another post that's coming). 

The real fairy in this post isn't the sweetheart above, however -- it's her mother, and she worked her magic on Monday afternoon: 

I was pretty worn down after the "vacation" from school... Rather tired. It was quite hard to get myself up and out to work on Monday morning... After school I had to do a quick errand to find new gym shoes for Katya. I stopped quickly at the McCafe on the Old Arbat afterwards... And realized only an hour later when I went to pay for all my produce at the market that I did not have my small black camera bag that was also doubling as a purse.

P-A-N-I-C.

It contained one credit card, my ATM card, my driver's license, all of my local merchant discount cards and my new small point-and-shoot camera. My keys, phone and Ipod had all been in my coat pocket. 

I quickly realized that I had left the camera bag hanging on the coat rack at the cafe and set off to get there as fast as I legally could. In the meantime, I whipped out my phone and called my friend who lives right near there... 

As luck would have it, she was two minutes away and she made a mad dash there to look for me. She initially didn't see it, but an employee in the cafe had noticed it hanging on its own and had taken the initiative to put it behind the counter. She claimed it for me and took it with her to Starbucks -- where she waited for me to come claim my bag. She even had a latte waiting for me. 

I sat there a while as my heartbeat normalized...

I would have felt like such an IDIOT to lose my bag that way... I was robbed by a cab driver the first year here and it was hell to get our passports and visas reissued. Getting a new license would have been easier than that, but still a royal pain... And my camera??!

I must say, it's nice to report that for the second time in two weeks I've now seen Muscovites go out of their way to help a stranger -- something that normally just doesn't happen... Setting aside my purse isn't as heroic as saving the life of the woman who tried to kill herself by jumping in front of my car, but a wonderful gesture nonetheless.

4 comments:

Tina in CT said...

She is just adorable! Aren't you glad that you bought the costume?

Thank goodness Julie was able to dash off to McD's and that the employee spotted it and put it safely away. I'm sure it happened because you just have so much going on and are plain old stressed. It would have been a nightmare to replace everything. Glad you have it.

Rachael said...

I didn't know you could get ANYWHERE in Moscow in 2 minutes!

Glad it was found!

Annie said...

Wow. You had MY heart racing! There is hardly anything worse than loing all your "papers" - even in the US - I can't imagine it in Moscow!

That is a wonderful idea for a shower gift! I love it! They must have known it was a girl, though....

Annie said...

Wow. You had MY heart racing! There is hardly anything worse than loing all your "papers" - even in the US - I can't imagine it in Moscow!

That is a wonderful idea for a shower gift! I love it! They must have known it was a girl, though....