Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Contentment


We made a quick trip to the grocery store my first day here, sans enfants. What joy! 

1. a cart that rolls easily

2. an in-store Starbucks where the coffee costs 1/3 of the cost in Moscow

3. free sanitizing wipes and a bin to discard them in once you've wiped down your cart! BRILLIANT! I'm used to having to carry my own and then keep the dirty ones with me...

Oh, yeah... Then there's the whole question of the grocery store where familiar and relatively inexpensive (in comparison to Moscow) items bring a smile to your lips...

I keep hearing about all the "hustle and bustle" of the modern-day Christmas season, but it's feeling darn peaceful to me!

p.s. You all had me laughing with your comments about my lost suitcase... Sure, there could be worse things than having to go buy new clothes -- but the things I had in my bag were real favorites that I had gotten at final markdown prices... It would have been hard to replace them all, and a real pain. The last thing I wanted to do when battling jet lag was  to trudge my way through the mall looking for those things all over again....

That being said, however, I did get to the local factory outlet mall (it's a regular mall, only half the stores are outlets) and I did really enjoy myself... In a mere two hours, I was able to find almost every item on my list of things I need! No Christmas shopping, just essential shoes that have been worn out, and a few basic clothing items that I had worn out, too. All just lovely, comfortable, well-made, and CHEAP! 

Yes, "Contentment" is an excellent title for this post...

7 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Yes, contentment.

Give me a call if you can tonight and I'll call you right back.

Tami said...

Its got to be a bit of a reverse culture shock, I bet. I know after only six weeks in Ukraine it was a bit weird to come back where everything is so easy. Enjoy! :)

Carey and Norman said...

It's the little things that make us happy :o)

Merry Christmas!

Francie said...

I have to go back and read a few missed posts, but it DID make me laugh when I saw that Starbuck's coffee in your cart! Ha-ha!

Natalie said...

NICE! New clothes, AND old favorites! I don't even know why, it's kinda silly, but I love to hear the things that make you the happiest when you are here in the states that we take for granted! It makes me excited all over again to have those at my finger tips all the time.

Tina in CT said...

Tami and her Starbucks - she loves it!

technology said...

You these things, I have read twice, for me, this is a relatively rare phenomenon!
handmade jewelry