Thursday, December 18, 2008

Huh?!

It's so tempting to say "only in Moscow...", but I'm sure surprises like this exist throughout the world... It's just SO MOSCOW to be minding your business, running errands, when SMACK you walk into something completely unexpected -- something in absolute contrast to your surroundings. Old vs. New is a common theme throughout the city, yet sometimes it's still jarring... 

See for yourself...


First you see this ugly apartment building on the left. Quite typical for Moscow. Thanks, Krushchev. Lots of grey, dirty slush... Grey skies... And then... Do you see that spot of blue up ahead? 


Can you believe it?! This gem of a robin's egg blue "gingerbread house" is just plopped into the center of Moscow, a random building on the street. Nothing special, it seems to have an office inside!


It's all so clean, so cheerful, so pretty! Utterly unexpected, and absolutely appreciated.

6 comments:

Tina in CT said...

What a charming building and I love the color. It really brightens up the landscape and especially during the gray days of Moscow's long winter. The design has an alpine look to it.

How come my Dachshund picture disappeared from my comments?

Natalie said...

Yeah, that is kindof in a weird spot. Interesting. I enjoy it when you write about the strange things about Moscow that differ from the US. Because I have not traveled much out of the country, I don't really know what's normal for America that is unusual to other countries. It's so interesting.

Francie said...

That's so funny! I was looking at all the pictures and then all of a sudden, my eyes started to hurt because it was such a bright blue! Ha-ha!

Carey and Norman said...

I agree that so many structures are so gray and drab. I think this is why St. Basil's Cathedral is so impressive. I think it is the color in the midst of a gray world!

Seraphina said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing!

garnet said...

Gorgeous! I love that blue. Blue is my favorite color. You get little houses close to this color in Romania. My relatives, I suspect, think they are pretty awful -- gypsy houses, but I love them.