Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Katya's Piano Recital

Last Friday was Katya's piano recital. We tried to get a piano in time for her to be able to practice, but there's a waiting list at our dealer in Moscow. January...

We borrowed a friend's keyboard so she could get in some practice... Once we have an instrument at home, she'll make much more progress... Up until know we've been waiting to see if she would remain interested...


Here she is with one her classmates. His dad is a famous soccer player and he's the sweetest kid; Katya is really glad that they have the same piano teacher. His mom, who has two sons, repeatedly gave the sweetest looks to Katya and her doll!


After just one week of having a keyboard at home, Natalia already taught herself "Sur le pont d'Avignon"! We'll start her on lessons as soon as our piano arrives.



This folk musician was invited to perform using a variety of Russian instruments throughout the concert; she was very interesting! You would have LOVED it, Annie!



The kids all sang this song together at the end of the concert. The little girl in the floral dress is one of Katya's friends; she's a dual Russian/American citizen since her mom is American and her dad is Russian. 


Natalia was given her Josefina doll for her birthday the night before. She had been looking forward to having her birthday party at school that day, but instead was home sick all week (and then we found out about Katya's concert). She wasn't exactly pleased to sit there for an hour and a half, but she did very well. 


The girls were very sweet when we got home!


We then settled in for family movie night...


7 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Love it. I enjoyed hearing them sing in Russian. We bought a Russian lullaby CD before trip 2, and the music reminded me of this CD. Our daughter listened to it each night until we just switched it out to a piano Christmas CD.

It is truly amazing the cultural experiences your daughters will have by living in Russia. I truly enjoyed the performances.

I'm not sure if I ever was able to send you a link to our blog (Russian Fairy Tale). Let me know if you want me to send you a link to our private blog.

russianfairytale (gmail)

Tina in CT said...

Thank you so much for posting this as I wish I could have gone to see her play. She did beautifully. I was here almost crying watching her.

That is wonderful that Natalia is interested and will start lessons this January.

garnet said...

How nice to have such special recitals. Ours are just in the school music building across the road with only the kids.

Congratulations on Natalia's Joseifina. I think Josefina is one of the most beautiful dolls they make.

Francie said...

I can't believe you got both girls matching dresses for their dolls! How adorable!!! I had to keep looking back and forth to double check, but they are so cute!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is so wonderful. Katya looks so grown up!
And I know the song they played as a duet!
Olga

Rachael said...

Bravo, Katya!

She did great. But...where's the bow?

Annie said...

You know me well - if only from a distance! :) Just as I was exclaiming to myself - "Oh! How I wish I could have been there!!!" I read, "You would have LOVED it, Annie!"

You have the most gorgeous and photogenic daughters. And I can't believe that everyone there wasn't giving the sweetest looks to Katya and her doll!