Thursday, December 18, 2008

Natalia's Birthday Party at School


This afternoon we celebrated Natalia's birthday at her kindergarten. She requested a Polly Pocket Hula Dancer cake. Sure, no prob. This is what I came up with... In my copious free time, of course!


Here's a close up of Polly and her friend...


Natalia was so excited! The kids started off by singing "Каравай," the game in which they hold hands and sing in a circle with the birthday child in the middle -- and he or she then picks friends to come hold hands and dance with him or her. I have good video of it, but I'm having trouble uploading it.


As an American, I just can't embrace this game... It automatically leaves other kids out, kids who might feel that this means they're not considered good friends... I can remember how many times it made Katya cry when she was in kindergarten... We just wouldn't do this in the USA! Here, however, it's completely normal and Natalia was really looking forward to it. 


She surprised me by picking as her first friend the girl who has driven her the craziest this year! That girl has bossed her around for months, telling what to do, when to do it, and how... This week, however, they've become friends. I'm so proud of Natalia!


We then played games with our parachute; the kids loved it since they'd never seen one before. The other Russian kids usually have a clown or entertainer come for their birthdays; Chris and I just don't want to do that... I like homemade birthdays...

A nice part of Russian birthdays, however, is how the children all make "toasts" the birthday girl or boy, standing up and wishing them things such as "growing up healthy and tall," "all straight A's in school," "having many friends," "never getting your feelings hurt by other kids," "being happy," etc. 


You can kind of picture these same kids twenty years from now doing the same with a shot glass of vodka or some champagne! It's SO Russian...

When we got home I assembled the cake decorations and they're now waiting for Natalia in the bathtub!


Cool, huh?


Hmm... Feels good. It was cheaper -- and more delicious -- to buy the Polly Pocket toys and make the cake than to order one... I'm thankful I can bake!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is sooooo cool!!!!!!

miss you!
jeannie

Tina in CT said...

I left a long comment over an hour ago but it's not there.

Carey and Norman said...

Great cake!! I think the Polly Pockets was a great idea! You are too crafty.

Tina in CT said...

Don't know what happened to your comment and ID photo, Mom... I just gave you this new picture :-)

Tina in CT said...

Picture is a little Liesel. thanks

MamaPoRuski said...

Amazing! Would love to see the video too! She looks so mature during her "thinking" part of the party! Great job mom in raising such as great kid too!

Annie said...

We always sing Каравай at the Russian School birthdays.... It reminds me of the Farmer in the Dell. Very fun - I hate to say the adults play, too....actually, that's what makes the game "nice" - they play until there are only the adults in the circle! Keep that expedient in mind for future use!

Natalie said...

Oh...! Tina's new puppy is so adorable!

Natalia is adorable too. I too can't believe they would play those games and leave others out. That can be a big deal when you're a kid to be left out.

garnet said...

My daughter would love those. She's managed to get a few Polly Pockets from someone.

I, however, would absolutely *hate* that game. As a child in school I would have dreaded it as I was always the quiet, shy one that never got picked.