Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Photo from Five Years Ago...

Katya, 3 years and 3 months & Natalia, 1 year

I took this picture at Macy's in Manhattan the Christmas before we moved to Moscow. That was when I could still make the girls dress in whatever I chose... In the midst of all the chaos this week, this picture is fun to admire. 

Hmm... The picture doesn't quite capture some of the other memories, though! Dealing with a double stroller on the subway and downtown, little girls running or crawling away at any chance they got... Having to hide in the furniture department behind a bed for an emergency diaper change... 

I sure do love Macy's Santa Land... Katya and Natalia haven't seen Santa since we moved here; instead they've come across Dyed Moroz. It's just not the same thing, though... 

My mom is suggesting - um - on my case - to take the kids to see him once we get to Colorado, but I'm a little hesitant... They would see him for what he is in a city-kid second. As long as it's all in their imaginations, it hasn't even occurred to Katya to doubt his existence. Technology makes it so easy -- they've tracked Santa's flight on NORAD and believed every bit of it!

7 comments:

Tina in CT said...

I love that picture of our day in the City and miss doing that so much. Can you blog readers see that I wish they were back in Moscow?

I did not think about how it's easier to keep the mystique of Santa (especially for Katya). Although seeing Santa each year is such a part of our American Christmas holiday.

I remember how I bought Xmas outfits for each day of the week and you could still decide what they wore.

Anonymous said...

this pic is similar to how i always think of the girls bc it is how they looked when i first met them - esp talia! i just think of her as a small child, 18 months old, just like rach is now. time goes by too fast, esp when they have a big sister ; )

tina, just remember, there are worse places than moscow... will you all be together for cmas this year?

miss you!
jeannie

Tina in CT said...

Jeannie,

Not much is worse as they are so far away and it's been 3 1/2 years. Can you tell that I'm not happy with the living abroad for so long?

No, I won't see Tami and the girls until 1/1 when they come for a week.

Tina

Tami said...

They were (and still are) so cute! I wish we could catch up with you while you're in Colorado. You wouldn't want to take a trip north of the border, would you? What about Ft. Collins? ;>)

Rachael said...

Did you get this idea from my post this morning? If not...what a funny coincidence!

Great pic. Great memories. :)

Melissa Q. said...

thanks for the picture and the sweater. elias looks very festive in it. also , those desserts look amazing.
do post the recipes, please

garnet said...

Beautiful sweaters!