Friday, January 30, 2009

Hit & Run

Today, after my little adventure I wrote about below, I got hit by another car. I was stopped at a light when two people in a Renault Megane came out of nowhere and hit me from behind.

According to Russian law, you're then required to STAY PUT, no matter how much danger that puts you in, and wait for the cops. We all put our blinkers on and got out to survey the damage. 

HE SMASHED IN ONE BACK CORNER OF MY CAR, scraping it up, too. And he then had the nerve to claim he hadn't even TOUCHED my car, that any damage was there before! 

I was sooooooo angry! I went to go get my phone, and then...

THE DARN DRIVER, SPORTING DIPLOMATIC PLATES, FLED THE SCENE! 

I tried following him, honking and flashing my lights at him to pull over, but he ditched me!

I videotaped him driving away and Chris figured out on the internet that he's from Vietnam... I can't go to the police, though, since I "broke the law" by not staying put at the scene of the accident. It would only be my word against his, and he's a diplomat.

AAAARRRGH!!!!!!!! 

Thank God my other news this morning was good...

Oh, yeah... The whole reason I was in the car then? Heading out the mega mall so I could get large sheets of colored paper. (I knew of one store that sells it there).  I had spent almost three hours trying to track some down yesterday in the city's center... I used to buy paper at the famous "Dyetsky Mir" at Lubyanka, but they closed that store for the NEXT FEW YEARS for renovations... Argh, argh, argh! I ended up buying almost $50 worth of papers; one of my responsibilities at school is to do the English Department bulletin boards and signs... I don't want to have to waste any more time this year looking for the necessary supplies...

7 comments:

Annie said...

Renovations in Russia certainly differ from here, don't they? They just took down a McDonalds, and built another one in the same spot - I don't think they were out of business for three weeks.

But over four adoptions in five years the renovations at the Tourist Hotel in Ivanovo continue unabated. At least they didn't close like my beloved Ukraina! Is that hotel open yet?

Anonymous said...

horrible experience! so thankful that you weren't hurt!

miss you!
jeannie

Tina in CT said...

Whew again!

Anonymous said...

Wow, maybe you should think about taking the video tape to the Vietnam embassy. Working for an embassy here myself, I can tell you that wouldn't go over very well. . at least not with our embassy! We would be in hot water. If that doesn't work, you could also try contacting the US Embassy http://moscow.usembassy.gov/citizen-services.html and see if US Citizen Services can do anything.

Tami said...

Oh good grief! What it rains, it pours. Thank goodness you weren't hurt! Sounds like the vehicle is still driveable...that's good.
I like anonymous' suggestion, but question how well it go over? The culture differences always make me pause. Who knows how the Vietnamese embassy will react? I would start with the American embassy if you're going to follow up at all.
Hope you're having a better day today.

Cecelia said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't know what I would have done in the same situation. Glad you are o.k.

Carey and Norman said...

I would be upset too having been hit and then the other car leaving the scene. I don't know how someone could live with themselves. Especially a diplomat. ARGH!