Saturday, January 24, 2009

Nice While It Lasted!

I got to stay in bed and wait out my fever for most of the day on Thursday because Amina was here. (Amina does pretty much whatever I need, taking over some housekeeping and the a.m. children's routine, and helping the girls with their Russian homework, now that I work full-time). Wow, for the first time in years I actually got to just REST when ill. 

How short-lived. Thursday night? Amina got sick, too. It was kind of inevitable!

Then on Friday afternoon I realized that the girls had only had a cold virus up until now -- their bouts with the flu were only beginning. 

After having been out of the office for most of the month due to his business trip and illness, Chris had to go to work... And I was on my own dealing with sick kids who caused MUCH laundry, also cleaning as much as possible to try to combat the germs... Their fevers made the girls miserable, so we did get to snuggle a lot. 

OH, HOW I WISH WE ALREADY HAD SEASONS 3 THROUGH 5 OF THE BRADY BUNCH!!!!

I do, however, highly recommend a movie I picked up at Target: Ballet Shoes, based on the award-winning children's book by Noel Streatfield. It stars Emma Watson and we all really enjoyed it. It's rated PG, basically because it wouldn't be of interest to kids younger than 8 (because of having an older sister, Natalia is interested in such things sooner). 



Miraculously, we're all doing a bit better this morning... I almost wish I could slip the girls a sedative!

9 comments:

Rachael said...

Oh you poor things! Hope you are better soon.

Do you get flu shots for everyone when you're home over Christmas?

Tina in CT said...

Is it possible to get your flu shots in Moscow for their flu strain and then get the US strain flu shots when you come to the US? Double dipping?

When I spoke to Katya this morning, she told me that she was the sickest she's been since Natalia was born. Didn't quite get that one.

garnet said...

I'm so sorry to hear that everyone is feeling terrible and hope all will be well soon -- and wish someone could send you the "Brady Bunch" DVDS. I have great memories of watching the show as a child at my Aunt's place.

I love, love, love all the Noel Streatfeild books (think I have most of them -- definitely the entire shoe series) and had seen a reference to the movie but hadn't thought much about it since generally movies tend to change the story so much. However, the trailer looks pretty good so I'll have to pick it up this summer.

garnet said...

I'm so sorry to hear that everyone is feeling terrible and hope all will be well soon -- and wish someone could send you the "Brady Bunch" DVDS. I have great memories of watching the show as a child at my Aunt's place.

I love, love, love all the Noel Streatfeild books (think I have most of them -- definitely the entire shoe series) and had seen a reference to the movie but hadn't thought much about it since generally movies tend to change the story so much. However, the trailer looks pretty good so I'll have to pick it up this summer.

Anonymous said...

Hope you all feel better soon.
Thinking now about ordering "Ballet Shoes" on Netflix.
Olga

Carey and Norman said...

Glad you are feeling better. So sorry that you've been so sick this past week. I'm glad you had some help even if it was only for a short time.

Thinking of you!

Annie said...

I read a number of Noel Streatfield's books to Lydia when she was younger; we loved them! I look forward to the movie; had only just found out about it, actually.

Hope you all get better!

Tina in CT said...

Order the other years of the series online and have them sent to me. I'll forward them in mailers.

bellajustbella said...

Hello, I have just stumbled across your blog and I am already in love with it. I am an American, and still live in America, but I think I have a Russian soul sometimes. I've always been obsessed with all things Russian, and am so envious that you are living there!
I have managed to make it to St. Petersburg, but not to Moscow yet. I love your photos, and your children are just lovely. I can't wait to read more.